When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Prewar locking fork problem FIXED

-

acurint

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Acquired this fork and the key was already broken off in the tumbler. I removed the plug on the bottom of the fork and can see the internal mechanism which does turn freely with a flat tip screwdriver. I removed the push pin just above the bearing race and I'm temporarily holding it in place with a wheel spoke. Even with no spoke, could not figure out how to remove the assembly to perhaps remove the broken key. I see a small spring around the small cylinder that moves in and out of the steering tube to lock the forks in place. Is this something for a locksmith or just a series of steps? Thank you in advance for your competent assistance as always. P. S. Even once I remove the broken key, 2s26 does not seem to be on the various lists of Schwinn key blanks I found online and a locksmith told me over the phone they would not be able to replicate it. I have read in other posts here that you can usually replicate it yourself with a very small file by matching the hills and valleys on the soft brass key replacement blanks.

20210605_175555_(1).jpg

20210605_175608_(1).jpg

20210605_175616_(1).jpg

Good for you! When i tried to do that i butchered the lock so bad that i had to buy a new one from Wes...

What a pain huh? I've removed broken off keys in quite a few items over the years but never had to remove the cylinder. Lots of picking but it can be done in most cases. Was the cylinder full of that grease? Clean that mess up before reinstalling and don't grease that cylinder! If you can get a hold of @WES PINCHOT he can cut you a new key or two.

What a pain huh? I've removed broken off keys in quite a few items over the years but never had to remove the cylinder. Lots of picking but it can be done in most cases. Was the cylinder full of that grease? Clean that mess up before reinstalling and don't grease that cylinder! If you can get a hold of @WES PINCHOT he can cut you a new key or two.
Hello, removing the tumbler is very easy since there's just a little spring loaded tab that you press and it slides right out. Now the problem is hopefully Wes writes back to me so he can cut me two new keys with my code or I have to buy a new tumbler with two keys on eBay and the guy says it's from a 1995 model and he doesn't know if it will fit the vintage forks.

Hello, removing the tumbler is very easy since there's just a little spring loaded tab that you press and it slides right out. Now the problem is hopefully Wes writes back to me so he can cut me two new keys with my code or I have to buy a new tumbler with two keys on eBay and the guy says it's from a 1995 model and he doesn't know if it will fit the vintage forks.
That guy is on her @GBROWN5501

the problem is finding blanks for that version of the cycle lock.... Not sure if Automatic blanks are available
like the Yale ones are.
Years ago I had a ton of those blanks...long gone...

the lock tumbler is longer on that particular cycle lock, hence so is the sleeve in your fork...
the repop tumbler and Yale (more common) Schwinn tumbler will not work.... too shallow
for the hole
See if Wes cuts keys for the AUTOMATIC locks

Actually that's valuable information if you already know that the repop ones on eBay for $35 with two keys will not work. I was just about to buy one just for the hay of it but seems like even if they were free, not a solution. Well I'm still waiting for that guy to write so I will try to email him again thank you.

Back