When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Prewar Los Angeles bicycle license plates?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Balloonatic

Riding my '39 Silver King 26X
I have always heard that 1936 was the first year for bicycle license plates in Los Angeles, but saw this 1935 plate recently, and with quite a high index number as well... does anyone have any info on when bicycle license plates came into use in Los Angeles?

I'm so bummed the seller pulled the auction for this plate and other prewar LA plates... his excuse was he listed them for someone else who asked him to end the auction after a day or so... I'm not so sure I believe it, it's much more likely someone made him an offer he couldn't refuse on them and pulled them.

Any info on LA plates would be appreciated, and if anyone has a 1935 LA bike plate like this one for me, PLEASE let me know?

Thanks!
Balloonatic O-O

LABL 1935.jpg

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Too late, my brother!
I have always heard that 1936 was the first year for bicycle license plates in Los Angeles, but saw this 1935 plate recently, and with quite a high index number as well... does anyone have any info on when bicycle license plates came into use in Los Angeles?

I'm so bummed the seller pulled the auction for this plate and other prewar LA plates... his excuse was he listed them for someone else who asked him to end the auction after a day or so... I'm not so sure I believe it, it's much more likely someone made him an offer he couldn't refuse on them and pulled them.

Any info on LA plates would be appreciated, and if anyone has a 1935 LA bike plate like this one for me, PLEASE let me know?

Thanks!
Balloonatic O-O

View attachment 706974

I'm really intrigued by this whole licence plate thing, they're not something we've ever had in the UK.
Was it purely a tax raising instrument, or was theresome other reasoning behind it?
They were used in France and Spain too and I can't believe the British never implemented a system.
Would love a history lesson if anyone can oblige!

I don't believe there was a tax or charge for registering a bicycle with the town or city, I think it was strictly to identify a bike if it was stolen. I may be wrong, some cities and townships might have charged to register your bike and get a tag, but I believe they were free, all you had to do was bring your bike to the police department and they would record the serial number and issue you a license plate.

I don't believe there was a tax or charge for registering a bicycle with the town or city, I think it was strictly to identify a bike if it was stolen. I may be wrong, some cities and townships might have charged to register your bike and get a tag, but I believe they were free, all you had to do was bring your bike to the police department and they would record the serial number and issue you a license plate.

Actually in many cases it was a tax and you paid for a new one every year. Denver for example - D.B.T. on the tag stands for Denver Bicycle Tax. That’s why you find multiple years on one bike sometimes.

Back