When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Prewar Mesinger Seat Fabric Preservation

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

dave429

I live for the CABE
I just bought a prewar Schwinn DX and it came with what I think is the original saddle. Due to age the fabric or top coating is starting to crumble. Is there anything I can coat it with to slow down the deteriorating on it? I was thinking like a wax or is there something I can spray on it? I like the way it looks so would prefer to not have it recovered. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

38D2C18E-4380-425B-A472-C548994367CB.jpeg

6320A687-DECF-4CC6-8212-49141F1DA056.jpeg

C72D1225-8750-4106-9816-E9F11318847F.jpeg

I use Johnson's paste wax on mine but yours looks a bit further gone than mine so not sure if it would help.

No worries... here's another one. I ended up recovering mine with leather but all these techniques seem to work. Good luck!

Keep the saddle out of direct sunlight and away from very dry sources of air such as forced air heat or air conditioners. The cover is cloth with a spray-on treatment applied over it. In the early years it was a nitrocellulose based spray and the proprietary name was "Fabrikoid". Other treatment probably existed in terms of the contents of the spray. It's not truly the old, 19th century type "oil cloth", and it's certainly not leather.

Be careful about putting linseed oil or anything flammable on it - remember that linseed oil rags can spontaneously combust in warm environments. You don't want the same to become of the cloth covering on the saddle.

My recommendation is leave it as-is, keep it out of the direct sunlight and keep it away from dry air heat and a/c. If you want to ride the bike, replace it with a "rider saddle" and save the original.

Back