When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Prewar metal finish?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Any idea what the chainguards or racks fit?
The rack is straight front to back, it won't fit the Westfield, and I don't think It'll work on the Western Flyer either.
When did glass reflectors become a thing of the past?
When the bean counters decided they wanted to stick more & more into their pockets for lesser quality in mass quantity .... I imagine by late 40s plastic started to be the start of the norm. Jus' a guess

I think the plastic reflectors were actually an improvement, the old glass versions weren't that great and the mirror backing would fall off if it got wet too many times. A quick fix is to mold a piece of aluminum foil to the back of an old glass reflector to restore some of its function. Without the backing, its just red glass with bumps on it.
The chrome rack has me puzzled, its got bright modern looking chrome yet its got a glass reflector. The reflector is special to the rack, its got three tabs that fit into the rack that are folded over rather than a nut and bolt. The painted versions have a single stud and nut, a few have rubber inserts.
That rack is an odd fit, the front clamp area is level with the top of the rack, so it means that the seat clamp has to be above the highest point of the fender for it to work. It will not fit the Westfield since its seat clamp is part of the frame and very low, it may work on the CWC but it'll be against the fender.
The packaging is pretty non-descript on the racks, only one says Murray bicycles, another one is in a Wald package but those are different than these.

The chainguards give me the impression of maybe being older than balloon tire bikes or off a lightweight model of that time?
I've been looking at pictures but haven't seen a CG like these.
The larger ones in the Dayton box look like most of the early 40's and wartime bikes.
I also found another box of chainguards to match the star sprocket, I think I have all the colors covered now, there's four or five styles all in the same shape and stamping.

I think the plastic reflectors were actually an improvement, the old glass versions weren't that great and the mirror backing would fall off if it got wet too many times. A quick fix is to mold a piece of aluminum foil to the back of an old glass reflector to restore some of its function. Without the backing, its just red glass with bumps on it.
The chrome rack has me puzzled, its got bright modern looking chrome yet its got a glass reflector. The reflector is special to the rack, its got three tabs that fit into the rack that are folded over rather than a nut and bolt. The painted versions have a single stud and nut, a few have rubber inserts.
That rack is an odd fit, the front clamp area is level with the top of the rack, so it means that the seat clamp has to be above the highest point of the fender for it to work. It will not fit the Westfield since its seat clamp is part of the frame and very low, it may work on the CWC but it'll be against the fender.
The packaging is pretty non-descript on the racks, only one says Murray bicycles, another one is in a Wald package but those are different than these.

The chainguards give me the impression of maybe being older than balloon tire bikes or off a lightweight model of that time?
I've been looking at pictures but haven't seen a CG like these.
The larger ones in the Dayton box look like most of the early 40's and wartime bikes.
I also found another box of chainguards to match the star sprocket, I think I have all the colors covered now, there's four or five styles all in the same shape and stamping.
I wish I could be of more help. Those star sprockets are awesome. If my '61 AMF doesn't sell then I'm using it to build somethin' Hellaciously Custom; star chain ring, guard, & clearing the fender mounts for balloon fenders. I am thinking TRM tank & some extreme craziness. You can easily sell them here or it seems

Here's a few more things I dug out of the boxes of parts last night.

unknown green rack

Unknown black rack - this one is very long, nearly 8 inches longer than the
green rack above. (This one seems to have the same slobbered on paint job
that the Westfield frame does but I don't see how it would have mounted
given that the Westfield frame's seat clamp bolt is set so low).

The wooden box these were in was marked 'later model seat posts'.

Top bolt style posts

Out of two huge boxes of BB cups, and after cleaning them all to get
a better idea of their condition, this is all that was really worth keeping.
The old guy saved everything, good or bad. I must say though, may of the
wired together pairs he saved, many had one good cup, and one bad cup
thus after cleaning and matching up with other good 'like' bb cups, they made
a usable set. I'm guessing these are likely from a kid's bike of some sort.
They were boxed up with the American bottom brackets, which them selves
vary between 50.5 and 53mm with depths varying by as much as a 1/4".

Note the three small press fit cups in the corner, which I assumed were for
Thompson bottom brackets but it seems the three pair in the pic are all
different sizes, both in depth and diameter, one pair measures 39.9 mm,
one pair is 42.6mm, and the other is 40.15 mm. The smaller pair is also
5/16" shorter.

I'm starting to think someone was buying out war surplus.
I found several boxes of these, most of the 28h stuff is bare, but more than two dozen of the black hubs are complete in 36h.
Maybe someone bought a bunch of black and green stuff after the war ended on some sort of closeout.
There's 11 green rear hubs that look unused, but have been laced, you can see black where the spokes were but the hubs are sprayed green. One box has a few bundles of green spokes too.

The assemble rear hub appears brand new, there's a flat wood box
with a dozen hubs in it stacked on end like eggs in a carton. Another
box, painted green like the parts, has 11 green hubs in it, all unlaced
from wheels. The front hubs were just loose in a box marked 'ND parts'.

I think you are having fun! Interesting that the writing on the hubs are white in order to read

The fun part was finding it all years ago, now its more like work digging through it all and cleaning stuff up as I sort through it. Mainly so I can gain some storage space and get all this stuff organized. I'm not even half way through what's in the trailer and what's in the basement. The bad part is that the first things to get put away back then was the parts for the red Western Flyer, so those parts are the most buried. I know there's a full box of brand new ND model D hubs that are plated, and a half box of plated front hubs, but I've not found those yet, nor have I found the kick stands for these. I did spot the one Schwinn frame, I'll see if I can get hold of that in a little bit.

I didnt realize there was this much stuff, it didn't look like all that much when I loaded it in the truck, after all, it all fit in the back of my truck, with a TALL cap, and in the cab. I bought a few drawer cabinets, and those are taking the place of about half the boxes.
Cardboard boxes waste a lot of space, so do plastic tubs.

Those that are painted green don't have the white letters, in fact, some of the lettering is completely filled by the green paint, as if it was just slobbered on real heavy. The spokes I found are the same way. The hubs are slightly darker green than the rest of the parts with the exception of a few stems and the handlebars that are painted green.

A few more:

There's a half dozen or more just like this one.

Not sure what to make of this, a Thompson bottom bracket to fit an American one piece BB frame. (It was mixed in with the Schwinn BB cups).

Here's another frame, I have everything but the fork front wheel, chainguard, and saddle.

1957?

Bendix 2 speed hub

Decals say its an American, but the serial number doesn't show up on any of the
Schwinn serial number charts.

There's also front and rear chrome racks for this, new old stock chrome fenders, a front hub, a stem, grips, a green Schwinn saddle, and a new old stock Westwind tire.

Last edited:
Reactions: JLF
Back