When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Prewar metal finish?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Any Davis/Huffman/Huffy badges?
Don't know for sure, I really didn't go through all the badges, just a handful or so of them so far. There's at least one more tub of them plus a few shoe boxes full of sorted badges in this mess somewhere. I'll keep an eye out for them. I do seem to recall seeing a really old Dayton badge but I think its a lot older than most of the rest. (There's one tub marked Pre-34 or something like that which I didn't get to yet.
What I'm dealing with is that the first to be unloaded got buried first, so a lot of the stuff in the cab got packed away in the front of the trailer or in the basement, then all the bikes, frames and heavy stuff got put in front of it. Which is why I'm just getting to the frames, stems, cranks, etc.
I'm also trying not to make it all feel too much like work. I spent almost 20 hours today digging through boxes and cleaning up a few parts.

I'm actually trying to make room for some more stuff I promised someone I'd go get and most of that is all similar to the lot of stuff I already have. Not that I need any more junk in the basement but I hate to see it end up getting trashed, especially if there's something in there I can use.
I just don't want to bury the stuff I already have with another load of parts and bikes, it'll end up getting lost forever down there. I'd also like to clear out my car trailer so I can use it when I need it.

After digging out the Schwinn American, I had to see what I had so I pulled the crank, cleaned it all up real quick
and was quite surprised at the difference when I looked at the before/after shots.
Worst part is the top tube, about half the paint on top is gone, and there's a good bit of surface rust that needs to be removed yet.
I simply cleaned it and polished what good paint was left for now. It needs to go into a huge bath of Evaporust over night.
Most of the lower part of the frame was just dirt stuck to years of grease.
The BB is like new, the chainring isn't even worn through the chrome and the original bearings still looked perfect.
Now I suppose I need to find a matching front fork for it, the proper chainguard, an S7 rim and tire, and a blue/white S saddle.

Before

After

Cranks cleaned up far better than I had figured they would.

After a good cleaning and some light polish the original color came back.

I got to thinking last night and I went digging in a box this morning out in the trailer that was marked "MISC".
At the bottom I found the fork for the Schwinn American, plus another Bendix 2 speed, and a super minty '56' dated Schwinn stem. I also found a set of blue fenders with white stripes that appear to match this bike hanging up in the trailer, way out of reach so far. That leaves only an S7 chrome rim, a chainguard, and tires that I need to put this thing together.
Anyone happen to know what hub is actually correct for one of these? The trigger shifted Bendix hubs look older than this bike, I would have expected a kickback 2 speed hub?

I remember the guy who I got this from telling me he thought he did have the fork but after going through all the boxes marked Schwinn and all the forks and not finding one, I guess I assumed it was missing. It was in a huge 100 gallon storage tub the whole time with a bunch of other unrelated parts.

Somehow the stem was in the trailer and the bars were in the basement on the shelf, and the grips were a Raleigh three speed, and the Raleigh's grips were in the storage tube with the Schwinn forks.
I found a wooden cigar box marked 'Schwinn' with a new old stock headset, a new front hub, and a new rear reflector, and a 1957 bike lic. plate from Union NJ.

This makes three of these now, all complete with cables and shifters.

One box I pulled out that was taped up and marked 'Misc. Bike parts" turned out to have an old artificial Christmas tree in it.
A box marked 'mixed junk parts' had an old Schwinn branded generator light set and five boxes of very old Christmas bulbs and an Easter basket full of New Departure model A hubs.

Several complete working hubs just like this one, and two old cookie tins full of Model A parts. .

Since I started posting pics here, I'll keep posting things I run across digging through that one lot of parts.
I got into the back shed a bit today, besides a bunch of Schwinn Adult trike parts, I found these:

Early 8 hole crankset, not much chrome left but presentable.

More New Departure Model A hubs

Prewar cranks, the first three have no pin. Any idea what these fit?
The one with the cones attached is 28tpi.

Delta generator

"Hercules B Type" 3 speed hub (Sturmey Archer)

There's a few more boxes of ND model A parts, probably enough to build 10 or more hubs. and enough internals for another dozen or so.
I also found two boxes of misc. BSA hubs and parts, plus two large milk crates full of Huret derailleurs.
I also have two more boxes of headbadges to sort through, maybe another 250 or so badges, maybe more. There was one shoe box full of just Schwinn badges.
What type of tires do wood rims take?

A few more pics:

Any idea what this was from?

This was in the bottom of a box full of racks, its marked 101L. I haven't seen anything that looks like a stand, or do I recall loading one back then. I wonder if I can buy just the receiver part for this? I don't suppose its very new.

A few more pics:

View attachment 1388687
Any idea what this was from?

View attachment 1388689

View attachment 1388688
This was in the bottom of a box full of racks, its marked 101L. I haven't seen anything that looks like a stand, or do I recall loading one back then. I wonder if I can buy just the receiver part for this? I don't suppose its very new.
Looks like a Park Tool clamp. Older but probably not reeeeeal old.

I figured the Park clamp is from the 70's or early 80's.

Any idea about identifying some of the older rear racks? I've got about two dozen here in all, all different, all full size from what I can tell, (26" bikes). The black one I posted last is the only one that has fixed braces, the brace is one piece and riveted to the bottom.

Never seen one like this, but I'm not big on bikes that are all dressed up with added sheet metal decor. Looks like the leg supports should have been attached further to the rear. Just too much unsupported sheet metal hanging out past the supports.

1618101824897.png

The black rack is pretty long, longer than any other's I've got. The bracket attaches with two rivets right through the bottom and the braces are bent square at the tops. There's no way to adjust them, which would make it far less universal. All the other racks have legs that swing fore and aft. I set this atop the rear of my Typhoon here and its WAY too long for that bike extending out beyond the rear fender. I'm thinking the brace was meant to be vertical to account for someone maybe using it as a rear seat. The legs are pretty heavy duty. There's a small glass reflector in a paper envelope that was tied to it, but no writing or brand on it.
It may be new, as in never installed, there's no paint loss around the ends of the brace and there was a $2.95 price tag stuck on the top.

Back