When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Prewar Monark Serial # Mystery

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

spokesman

Look Ma, No Hands!
Greetings Cabers,

Havent been on for quite a while but getting back into the hobby.
Picked up a 38 Colson and a Ladies four bar Monark recently.

I saw the post with the listing for the Serial #'s for Pre war and Post war Monarks (very nice info - many thanks to the poster)
However, this Ladies Four Bar doesnt follow the pattern. It has 2 letters a space and them 3 numbers on one of the bars under the crank housing.
Does any one know if there is a separate listing for these 4 bar Ladies Monark's or how to decipher the letters and numbers? Please advise. Thanks

I've owned a bunch of Four/Five bars and have not deciphered this system. It appears the early ('38-39) bikes had the numbers punched crudely on the bottom tube and probably about late '39/early '40 the numbers were moved to the left rear drop out in small even characters. As Mike indicates the best way to date one of these is by equipment. V/r Shawn

I've owned a bunch of Four/Five bars and have not deciphered this system. It appears the early ('38-39) bikes had the numbers punched crudely on the bottom tube and probably about late '39/early '40 the numbers were moved to the left rear drop out in small even characters. As Mike indicates the best way to date one of these is by equipment. V/r Shawn
Thanks guys.

Here's some pics, Double springer fork, New Departure Hubs. Serial number on one of the tubes under the crank housing. Yes it looks to have been repainted a long time ago (not by me). Year of Manufacture?

MonarkRS.JPG

MonarkLS.JPG

MonarkBAdge1.JPG

MonarkSprings.JPG

MonarkBArs.JPG

MonarkCrank.JPG

Shawn, There are no numbers on the left rear drop out. Only on one tube/bar under the crank housing. But it seems to me that the earlier ones ('38-39) had truss rods...this one has the springer....?

Starting sometime in 1939 and continuing into early '40 Monark made several changes in the Four/Five bars including the seat post clamp, changing from flat to channel fender braces, the spring fork, and moving the serial numbers among others. Not sure if you've seen this but if you are interested in these bikes may be worth a read. https://thecabe.com/forum/pages/monark_5-bar/ Caveat* I wrote this a few years ago and need to update/revise a little but still fairly accurate info. V/r Shawn

Starting sometime in 1939 and continuing into early '40 Monark made several changes in the Four/Five bars including the seat post clamp, changing from flat to channel fender braces, the spring fork, and moving the serial numbers among others. Not sure if you've seen this but if you are interested in these bikes may be worth a read. https://thecabe.com/forum/pages/monark_5-bar/ Caveat* I wrote this a few years ago and need to update/revise a little but still fairly accurate info. V/r Shawn
Shawn
Great article! I had never seen it before. Thanks

Back