When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Prewar nonlocking springer question

-

Spacecowboy

Look Ma, No Hands!
Not able to easily find any references to a non locking springer on a prewar bike. I picked up some yard art that had one and was wondering if that was the way it was originally issued. All the other parts match the 41 catalog page. Thanks

Might want to post a pic but on a lot of models the lock was an extra cost option. V/r Shawn
Thanks, Freqman1. I will post a current pic of just the fork tomorrow night. This is one i took before I messed up the og paint on it. There was a patent decal on front of it under black paint that I can barely read. I kind of figured it was a separate cost from the springer, but haven't seen any bikes or forks in prewar adverts or picture collections listed that way.

20180913_141705.jpg

I have both a boys '38 and a '41 with regular non-locking forks. Actually looking at the catalogs it looks like the cycle lock was an extra cost option on all models. V/r Shawn

I have both a boys '38 and a '41 with regular non-locking forks. Actually looking at the catalogs it looks like the cycle lock was an extra cost option on all models. V/r Shawn
Thanks, yea it makes sense it was sold that way, just haven't seen any in past couple days googling. Actually it'd be cabe-ing because most of the info is here. lol.

I was just worried at this point that it was added on later, because there aren't any stampings on the fork tips as there are in later years.

Thanks again.

Thanks, yea it makes sense it was sold that way, just haven't seen any in past couple days googling. Actually it'd be cabe-ing because most of the info is here. lol.

I was just worried at this point that it was added on later, because there aren't any stampings on the fork tips as there are in later years.

Thanks again.

That’s a ‘41 Hollywood with a 6” headtube. That springer only fits that year girls models as well as the tall frame men’s models with a 6” head tube. So definitely not a later postwar fork.

That’s a ‘41 Hollywood with a 6” headtube. That springer only fits that year girls models as well as the tall frame men’s models with a 6” head tube. So definitely not a later postwar fork.
Ok thanks, autocycleplane. ☺ the catalog photocopy book only listed the girls bikes with the "new design, 6"head". I was guessing it worked on other bikes made after 1940, but there wasn't a comparable frame listing. I was looking toward maybe using it on a build up version of a dx, since the catalog showed it with the springer option.

Back