When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Found Prewar schwinn 1940-41 cantilever tank

-
Which tank are you looking for? There are at least four different '40--41 tanks depending on model. V/r Shawn

Last edited:
at this point any would be fine, I have enough accessories to go a couple ways. Do you have pics/ documentation on the four you speak of? Thsnks

non embossed pinch tank (41 and early post war)
fully embossed pinch tank (41 and early post war)
Super Deluxe fully embossed pinch tank Autocycle 41
Hanging Cantilever 40' tank w/ horn button 38-40
Hanging Cantilever 40' tank for Autocycle 38-40

I think that's the cast of characters right there

The fully embossed pinch tank is probably the easiest to acquire. This tank looks like a post war tank except it doesn't use the clips to hold the tank screws because the tabs are threaded. I suppose the way you go depends on your serial number as well. A '40 tank of either variety or a '41 SD tank is going to be $$$. The non-embossed pinch tank I have seen mostly on BFG bikes. Might want to post your serial and the model you are after. V/r Shawn

C4E45D20-7F92-42FE-A7C4-5F39FFAFF260.jpeg
The fully embossed pinch tank is probably the easiest to acquire. This tank looks like a post war tank except it doesn't use the clips to hold the tank screws because the tabs are threaded. I suppose the way you go depends on your serial number as well. A '40 tank of either variety or a '41 SD tank is going to be $$$. The non-embossed pinch tank I have seen mostly on BFG bikes. Might want to post your serial and the model you are after. V/r Shawn
Here’s the serial number, cantilever Frame

Ok so its a '41. Depending on which model/badge it will use one of these three tanks
1941_liberty_6.jpg

Autocycle-embossed

1941_red_streamliner_2.jpg

BFG Autocycle-not embossed (on top)

1941_super_tan_10.jpg

Super Deluxe-light switch-no horn button (horn button on cross bar)
None of these tanks use clips like on most post war tanks-tabs are threaded

Last edited:
Back