When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Prewar Schwinn 6 Hole Rack Identification

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Autocycleplane

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Which of these are prewar?

B773CB91-8B37-46E7-949E-495598AD347E.jpeg

This is a trick question, right? The prewar racks should be narrower at the front like Cowboy says, but they should also be shorter from the front strut mounting holes to the front of the rack to account for the difference of using the axle as the lower mounting point on the prewar bikes versus the separate mount points further back on the postwar bikes. This one is a puzzler.

This is a trick question, right? The prewar racks should be narrower at the front like Cowboy says, but they should also be shorter from the front strut mounting holes to the front of the rack to account for the difference of using the axle as the lower mounting point on the prewar bikes versus the separate mount points further back on the postwar bikes. This one is a puzzler.

INTERESTING!

I DO KNOW THAT THERE IS A DIFFERENCE IN THE LENGTH OF THE PREWAR SIX HOLE CARRIERS
FOR THE BOYS AND LONGER FOR THE GIRLS DUE TO DIFF IN FRAMES. AND I THINK THE TALLER
FRAMES FOR BOYS ALSO REQUIRES A LONGER CARRIER LENGTH.

THE POST WAR WWII SIX HOLE AND FOUR HOLE CARRIERS ARE ALL THE SAME LENGTH FOR
BOYS AND GIRLS FRAMES AND ABOUT A QUARTER OF AN INCH WIDER AT THE FRONT FOR
ATTACHMENT TO THE FRAME.

INTERESTING!

I DO KNOW THAT THERE IS A DIFFERENCE IN THE LENGTH OF THE PREWAR SIX HOLE CARRIERS
FOR THE BOYS AND LONGER FOR THE GIRLS DUE TO DIFF IN FRAMES. AND I THINK THE TALLER
FRAMES FOR BOYS ALSO REQUIRES A LONGER CARRIER LENGTH.

THE POST WAR WWII SIX HOLE AND FOUR HOLE CARRIERS ARE ALL THE SAME LENGTH FOR
BOYS AND GIRLS FRAMES AND ABOUT A QUARTER OF AN INCH WIDER AT THE FRONT FOR
ATTACHMENT TO THE FRAME.

Hey Wes, you're right about the quarter inch. My measurements of the front of the cream colored rack you sold me at Oak Forest for my prewar motorbike come in at 2 1/4 inch, whereas all of the postwar racks I have are 2 1/2 inch at the front.

I was wondering if maybe the girls frames were different which might account for this. But most prewar girls bikes that I've seen did not come with a rack so kind of hard to tell.

I can tell you that I added a Phantom rack to a taller King Size American frame and I had to shorten the rack about an inch at the front to make it fit correctly. Fortunately I'm pretty sure it was a repop rack so no damage done. But it did show me that taller frames seem to require a shorter rack.

The chrome one appears to be a standard prewar boys rack. The black one appears to be a prewar tall frame boys rack or 20" (frame size) girls prewar rack. Unless homeslice put a black post war rack top with prewar legs :rolleyes:.

I built the attached 20" rangerette and used a prewar chrome rack top from a boys tall frame Mead Champion (20" frame).

IMG_4274.JPG

IMG_4275.JPG

Back