When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Prewar Schwinn Fender Help

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Djshakes

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Sorry, I posted this in the wrong forum before.

I believe I have an uncommon frame. Schwinn made 16,18, and 20 inch prewar frames for the most part.

I have an 18 inch frame. I have a standard rear fender I pulled off of a 36 autocycle that is also an 18 inch frame. The fender measures 13 7/8 from the top of the elongated hole to the center of the hole that attaches the fender to the top tube on the frame. See picture for how I measured. My ruler starts at 10 inches. The picture IS NOT the fender I am referring to. This is a tall frame fender I just used for illustration.

The standard 18 inch fender does not fit in my frame. Does anyone have a fender that measures 13 inches from the top of the elongated hole to the center of the other hole? This is driving me nuts. I'm wondering if it is a 16 inch frame fender I need even though my bicycle is an 18 inch. It makes no sense as from my understanding the fenders Schwinn made only varied between frame sizes (tall frames, etc.). I'm about to destroy something.

I need to buy a fender that has the 13 inch measurement with a high tail asap. Thanks.

fender.jpg

I think I figured it out with the help of another member. Thanks Kim!

Schwinn apparently had two different types of autocycle frames from 36-37. Most likely transitional frames. The rear end is smaller in some requiring a hybrid fender. It is basically a 36 cycleplane fender with a duck tail. Schwinn stamped their fenders with a number above the screw tab. Tall frame fenders are stamped with a "3" and these transitional fenders are stamped with a "5". I might have the numbers flipped. Going off memory.

The interesting thing is my frame is a late 37 or early 38 serial and still has the shortened rear.

In post 12 of the thread below is where I note there are 2 different frames. The blue one, subject of the thread, is the "lower slung", with shorter distance to fender bridge and smoother "line" between top tube and seat stays.

http://thecabe.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?34848-Fresh-Find&p=299597#post299597

Thanks doug but we might be talking about different frames.

Your frame (subject of thread) is a cycleplane. It has a straight downtube which ended for B model bikes in 36. So that would explain the difference.

The frame I have is a curved downtube which was only available in 36 on autocycles. The interesting thing is my frame has a cycleplane rear end. There must have been some strange transitional period as I have a 36 autocycle frame that takes the larger 37 and up fender (as it should) but my later 37 frame takes this special transitional fender. Both curved downtube frames.

So in 36 and 37 Schwinn made these types of B-model frames in 18 inches.

1. 18 inch Straight downtube, takes fender measuring 13 inches hole to hole no duck tail.
2. 18 inch Curved downtube, takes fender measuring 13 7/8 hole to hole, Duck tail.
3. 18 inch Curved downtube, takes fender measuring 13 inches holes to hole, no duck tail and duck tail (rarer).

Your frame (subject of thread) is a cycleplane. It has a straight downtube which ended for B model bikes in 36. So that would explain the difference....

1. 18 inch Straight downtube, takes fender measuring 13 inches hole to hole no duck tail.
2. 18 inch Curved downtube, takes fender measuring 13 7/8 hole to hole, Duck tail.
3. 18 inch Curved downtube, takes fender measuring 13 inches holes to hole, no duck tail and duck tail (rarer).

Sorry, I misssed the Autocycle descriptor and therefore it's featured curved downtube.

But, I do have 2 different straight downtube frames. Is this news, or are you allowing for this above? Is my Cycleplane (subject of thread) a "B" model? Is my 37 frame then not a "B" model? (It is not the easily distinguised "C"). Does your "B" category above include or excude "BC". I don't have my catalogs here with me. :)

my list excludes BC and C models. Maybe there are two different 36 cycleplane frames but I doubt it. I haven't research that as I have not had any issues.

Your frame (subject of thread) is a cycleplane. It has a straight downtube which ended for B model bikes in 36. So that would explain the difference.

The frame I have is a curved downtube which was only available in 36 on autocycles. The interesting thing is my frame has a cycleplane rear end. There must have been some strange transitional period as I have a 36 autocycle frame that takes the larger 37 and up fender (as it should) but my later 37 frame takes this special transitional fender. Both curved downtube frames.

So much to learn

Back