When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

prewar schwinn locking head parts

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

robert bell

Wore out three sets of tires already!
what does the springer fork lock engauge on prewar schwinn springers? bottom head cup is short like non locking cup on my 41. was there a sleeve that went in headtube?

when didthey start using the lower cup with long sleeve that has hole(s) for lock pin like cup on left? cup out of 41 frame is one on right, is that correct?
DSC04690.JPG

sooooo much to learn! thanks again for the great information!! makes things alot easier to do!!

I want to say it goes into the hole where the down tube is. I just put mine back together last week but didn't even pay attention to this! V/r Shawn

LOCKS ENGAGED A HOLE IN THE DOWN TUBE OF THE FRAME.
THE PREWAR HEAD TUBES HAVE A HOLE TOWARD THE DOWN TUBE OF THE FRAME
THAT THE LOCKING BOLTS ENGAGE. THE POST WAR HEAD TUBES HAVE AN OPENING
THE SIZE OF THE DOWN TUBE THAT IS TOO LARGE TO RESTRAIN THE BOLT. THAT IS
WHY THE POST WAR FRAMES NEED THE LOCKING BEARING CUP. IT IS HELD IN PLACE
BY A BUTTON ON THE INSIDE OF THE HEAD TUBE TOWARD THE HEAD BADGE.
IF YOU NEED A KEY FOR YOUR CYCLE LOCK I CAN HELP.

Prewar headtubes are a tube so the locking pin fits into a hole in the tube. Postwar headtubes are a forging (see electroforging) so the pin fits into a hole in the (taller) headset cup.

thanks!! noticed downtube hole nice and round, my problem is trying to lock fork like my harley, tire towards kickstand side, schwinns lock tire to chaingaurd side! now it works!!

Back