When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Prewar Schwinn Men's Truss Fork Steering Tube Dimension Help

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Krakatoa

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
I'm cutting down a prewar Schwinn truss fork non-locking for a 5" head tube men's 26" ballooner fram. What is the established steering tube length, top of lower fork crown to top of tube? I figured this out once or twice before but I didn't write it down anywhere I could find easily. I think it's about 6 9/16" or 6 5/8"....Can anyone confirm?

Thanks,

Nate VT
401-548-9082

IMG_20220315_163429158.jpg

1.25" more than the headtube if I recall the parts catalog correctly. Looks to be the case from the above photo as well.

I should have clarified...the top nut is pulled up to expose the top end of the fork threads. For some reason, 6-1/4" sounds shorter than I remember cutting before too...I'd say I've cut more post war forks for that 6-5/8" number to stick out though.

Thanks so far guys! I was hoping someone had a prewar men's truss fork out of the bike so they could get a measurement from the top of the lower crown to the top of steering tube. I've got an open type top nut that I can use to test fit I'll let you know what number I come up with.

6 1/4" is it pretty good number but I still felt it was a little short so I did 6 3/8" and it worked out great. Worst thing you can do is cut it too short and it's always helpful to have the correct and complete headset stack around. Here I am using a 5" headtube Huffman frame to mock up this fork resize. Also using an open head nut is very helpful when the tube is not yet cut to size and you are test fitting shortened truss rods etc...

IMG_20220317_172021880.jpg

IMG_20220318_132730554.jpg

IMG_20220318_142641569.jpg

Back