When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Prewar Schwinn Motorbike

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

ohdeebee

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
I'm doing some paint and wheel work for a buddy of mine. This bike came from a barn not far from me and I had known about it for years. Problem is it was never for sale. He was finally able to do some swapping and rescue it from the constant bombardment of bird crap. Although I've been painting since I was 15 (I'm 26 now),this is my first time pinstriping by hand and so far so good. I get fatigued pretty quickly so it's been a work in progress. All of the darts were laid out by hand also just as they were at the factory. This bike is going to be aged once its done so every layer of paint has to be factory correct to get the right look.

Before:
KoenigsBikeBefore-1.jpg

Darts are done, ready for striping
031012153953-1.jpg

Fork darts with stripes done
KoenigsFork-1.jpg

I guess I didn't take any pics of the frame after it was striped but I'll add some too along with the fenders once they're done. Let me know what you think!

First off I want to say very nice paint you're doing there. You should be proud of the work you do.

That being said...

What is the deal with painting an old bike to look like it did when it was new, only to "age" the paint to look old once again? I DO get why someone would want original paint to show it's true age (patina), but what is it? What would you do to make it look aged? I know that old paint will mellow over time, and it does look rich and darker. But why take a nicely fresh painted bike and make it look old again?

Just a question I've been wanting to ask for a while.

Mr D

Motorbike

Excellent paint job!!! but I am partial to the whole project:)

To answer the question above, my overall thought is most people with some degree of financial independence don't choose to knock the paint condition of their bikes, they are able to take everything to a full restoration state. I agree initially why would one want to slightly distress a nice paint job? in this situation, as is the same for other collectors as well, there is a limit to what can all be spent to upgrade chrome parts or replating, etc. Especially if you don't have all the high end pieces to that bike(to justify your total cost) or if your just trying to preserve the piece and enjoy it as a rider, or trying to match patina of what's left of the chrome pieces with the painted parts, you might need to exercise some of these methods. Plus if you enjoy riding a bike that has a little character, dents, dings, pealing off chrome, rust, faded paint, etc. that would be another reason. Then all the parts can compliment each other without having anything stick out as a major distraction, or to spend all the extra money on the total restoration end of it, where those funds can be redirected towards the pursuit of the other costly parts that needed for completion. For example, tank and rear rack, etc. I think in the end it all does come down to the cost associated with your purchase, and how much you can afford to put towards it, and the style and look you know you will enjoy it in, as well as at least getting some of these projects out of the ugly old house paint status. Let's say I bought this bike as a complete unit, or the purchase was dirt cheap, which was not the case, (market value was paid) then we'd most likely see all replated chrome pieces and not touching the paint at all after restoration.

Anyway, I would encourage anyone who has a rougher or house painted project that could use a little life breathed back into it, to have Jason, or someone like him bring it to a better level then it currently is in. I think great painting and pin striping on this project.

Great work Jason, keep it up!

Wow looks great!!!!

I am a big fan of painted and aged bikes. So nice not stressing over finding NOS or rechromed mint parts only to wind up with a bike that is to nice/expensive to ride and enjoy.

Keep up the great work

Well put DMK. Thanks everyone for the compliments! I should have more pics up tomorrow.

What is the deal with painting an old bike to look like it did when it was new, only to "age" the paint to look old once again? I DO get why someone would want original paint to show it's true age (patina), but what is it? What would you do to make it look aged? I know that old paint will mellow over time, and it does look rich and darker. But why take a nicely fresh painted bike and make it look old again?Mr D

For me, it is a personal preference. I like to ride my bikes and having a 70-year old bike with mixed patina (new seat or pedals with crusty old paint and chrome for example) makes the new or restored parts really stand out and distracts-looks out of place on the bike. And fully restored bikes look too new for me. We do rides with many original paint pre and post war bikes and non collectors are always drawn to the original bikes in the lineup....and will walk past the restored or over-restored bikes because they do not always recognize these as vintage bikes...but again, just what works for me...

Great Job so far......

I'm with "ohdeebee, who wants a bike that is too nice to ride?
I for one, am looking forward to learning his method on aging the paint.:D

Thank you for the answers about aging new paint. It's interesting to see many peoples views, likes & dislikes. Painting a bike in the first place is something I've never had a problem with (no matter what color, original or not). It breaths fresh life into it and keeps you wanting to ride it and show off your work. I've asked this question to collectors and riders as well. In fact I'm glad to see somewhat of a trend happening. Some guys are taking their old bikes which they intended on keeping the frames in their old paint (even rusty) and riding as is. To me, that was sort of silly. But, that's what they liked. Taking a bike and customizing it to the next step (paint) is pretty cool. Now they are showing up painted.

I totally understand about making a bike yours. If making the bike look old again, then that's cool too!

Mr D

Last edited:
Back