When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Prewar schwinn question.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I've had 40s with spears and later style tank graphic and currently have a 40 with the earlier style graphic and scrolls. I think my 40 with spears was a dlx w-springer and a Chicago cycle bike. My scroll 40 is a Henderson so in short, I don't think the dart or scroll should be used as an accurate indicator of age.

Yes I agree 40s (and 41s) can go both ways on the frame paint and tank paint but have not personally seen any 39 DX bikes with the graphic and scrolls so best guess is 40 on Zacks bike. Could also be an odd ball 41 built out with 40 parts but at that point it is more or less a 40 anyway.

It was just listed for sale if anyone is interested. Wasn’t going to move so quick but something has come up that I need to free up some cash! Thanks for the help guys. I listed as a 40.

The markings on your bike has peaked my curiosity. Those frame scallops from what I can find came out on the 1941 models along with the chevrons on the ends of the fenders. That tank detailing (up facing) was not used after the 1940 models. Does anyone have a catalog image of the DX models or other models for 1940 that depicts all the same markings that are on your bike? Bob had a bike just like yours a while back other than an optional springer and he had it listed as a 1940 model. I have no idea what his serial number was.

https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/1...ike-orig-paint-3-rib-delta-etc-450-00.136851/

dx1-jpg.jpg

DX models - Plenty of 40s with that paint scheme despite the catalog. 39s typically have drop stands. The wald #3 stem, miller stand and E serial suggest 40 to me.

41 girls frames had shorter 6” headtubes - easy to rule that out.

Back