When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Prewar schwinn serial list

-
Thank you very much. That's interesting. Would the PD have added that at some event to prevent, or at least track the bike if stolen?

Yes. Some would could call it registered and it was used for proof of ownership in case it was stolen or lost. Not all cities practiced the same format and some you had to have a bike licensed. In Mesa AZ during the 60's the bikes were registered and tagged with a license plate. then the bike's frame and components were carved up with an engraver using the number on the plate.

Based on this serial number alone what year would you date this frame.
IMG_0683 (2).JPG

@REC
I agree, I don’t either tend to date bikes by only the number. I want to see how many replies I get before I disclose what frame it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a Cycle Truck frame that started with "X" so I'd say there is some wiggle room and as Tim pointed out on his list some anomalies as well. V/r Shawn

I had a Cycle Truck frame that started with "X" so I'd say there is some wiggle room and as Tim pointed out on his list some anomalies as well. V/r Shawn
I had a Phantom with an X serial number years ago, my memory is getting bad but I think I was told X numbers were replacement frames?

Back