When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

prewar Schwinn Serial

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
feel free to add mine, but it may not really be too helpful. I learned in the Huffman serial project, a frame and serial without context doesn't tell you much. I'm going with 1940 but still, there are no hard facts to support it.

Dave K,
40/41? what is making you say 41? Do you have info on the seat clamp differences?

Chain guard is chrome, locking springer with key, chrome drop centers, signs of previous rear carrier and drop stand. (which I'm looking for) any help?
This one has been preserved nicely in high quality dust:) I'll do an overhaul and detailing only. The paint is fantastic, color of choice for me, painting it would be vandalism.
Ivo

The three things that made me think 41 were the feather chain guard the frame paint (most 40 have spears) and the white tips on the fenders. Now I am not so sure if it is a 40 or a 41 I had never seen a 40 DX with the feather but then again I have never till now seen a DX with a chrome chain guard but this one has it. In the past I always thought 40 bikes have the skinner fenders and the DX hockey stick guard and the 41 bikes have the deep fat fenders and the feather guard but as always it is not that simple and there are really no rules with prewar Schwinns. I think the no rules thing applies double to DXs because they are the bottom of the line bike and got what ever parts were left over

Your DX is so so cool. I would not think of taking the added decals off I really think it makes the bike. I can just see some kid back in the 1940s tricking out his bike with the cool decals!!!

Dave,

Is it possible that I could add your bikes to the serial number list I'm working on? The more I can get - the better! If they are documentable it helps even more.

Thanks,
REC

Yes but I have no idea what the number is because I never looked at it. I will be getting the bike out in the next few weeks to do some work to it and will take some better pictures and check the number when I do

Yes but I have no idea what the number is because I never looked at it. I will be getting the bike out in the next few weeks to do some work to it and will take some better pictures and check the number when I do

Thanks, I'll be watchin'!
REC

the saddle?

Can you tell me where you got the saddle or what brand it is? I've been looking for something like it, but don't want to invest in a Brooks, etc.

Thx

Prewar Scwhinn ser# F

Ok, so I've heard that someone has or is working on a prewar serial chart, where is it?
I have a frame with this serial number, F45028 what is the best guess on a date for it. frame characteristics lead me to either 1940 or 1941 but I'd like to get closer if I can as there are a few differences between the two years.
Scott, '40 cuts off at E53499, and '41 starts at E53500 and runs through H according to the list I have.

Brad

Please don't make the ASSumption that on 12/31/1940 that Schwinn cleaned out all of it's parts bins and switched over all the models to the "new " styles. For anyone who has worked in manufacturing knows that quite a bit of overlap occurs, weeks and even months, especially if Schwinn had contracts with outside vendors for parts that were constantly being shipped in. Engineering changes are implemented in stages to tweek during production (called running changes and considered part of constant improvement). And frames were welded and stamped much earlier than when the actuall bike rolled off the assembly line and was "born". Think about it, painting had to occur, and curing (they didn't have powdercoat bake ovens then), decaling, parts assembly, packaging, warehouse and staging, then order pulling and master packing, shipping, uncrating and final assembly at the store. Plus the store was in business to upsell the customer and fancier assessories, maybe even the next year's new item might get to the store before last years serial numbered bike hit the showroom floor. This whole process could add months to the date it was actually stamped. Serial numbers are generalizations, model year parts overlapped, kids switched out broken items, the local Schwinn shop personalized bikes to upsell...all factors to take into account.

Please don't make the ASSumption that on 12/31/1940 that Schwinn cleaned out all of it's parts bins and switched over all the models to the "new " styles. For anyone who has worked in manufacturing knows that quite a bit of overlap occurs, weeks and even months, especially if Schwinn had contracts with outside vendors for parts that were constantly being shipped in. Engineering changes are implemented in stages to tweek during production (called running changes and considered part of constant improvement). And frames were welded and stamped much earlier than when the actuall bike rolled off the assembly line and was "born". Think about it, painting had to occur, and curing (they didn't have powdercoat bake ovens then), decaling, parts assembly, packaging, warehouse and staging, then order pulling and master packing, shipping, uncrating and final assembly at the store. Plus the store was in business to upsell the customer and fancier assessories, maybe even the next year's new item might get to the store before last years serial numbered bike hit the showroom floor. This whole process could add months to the date it was actually stamped. Serial numbers are generalizations, model year parts overlapped, kids switched out broken items, the local Schwinn shop personalized bikes to upsell...all factors to take into account.
I use the list I have as a guideline. For instance I have two ser# T's which are called out as '38's on this list, one mens bike and one ladies. Both have a mix of '37 and '38 catalog parts. You could venture a guess they may be late '37 manufactured bikes for the '38 market or not.

Dave,

Is it possible that I could add your bikes to the serial number list I'm working on? The more I can get - the better! If they are documentable it helps even more.

Thanks,
REC

Here are some pictures of the bike and the serial number. This bike was originally non equipped and I added the tank rack and headlight. I suspect this bike might have had the early tank paint if it had had a been equipped

Attachments

• 01300.jpg
    01300.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 104
  • 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 115
  • 017.jpg
    017.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
Back