When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Prewar -vs- Post War Schwinn Springer Forks How to tell them apart?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

klunk!

Finally riding a big boys bike
Trying to determine if the Springer fork I have is Prewar or Post? Anyone know some telling signs to steer me in the right direction? Thanks

From what I know, the bolt going "behind" the forks is earlier style, and the bolt going through the forks is later style.

Picture545.jpg

The "bolt through" forks didn't come out until the 60's. The prewar and postwar forks differ in the bend of the fork legs themselves. I'll try and dig up some pics. Otherwise I'm sure someone on here will have some.

The small diameter struts were used till the late 1940s. The best way I know if to tell the diff is to measure the head tube. The prewar head tube is a little shorter

That ebay ad is not all that accurate either, I had a 48 with skinny truss rods and there is a small difference in leg length between locking and non-locking forks...

The prewar forks had a slightly more consistent graceful curvature versus post......

diff or rent...

Skinny truss rods go up to 1950 maybe 51..... the big differences in pre/post are mainly the curve of the legs!:cool:

There are a lot of small differences thru out the years you need to study them by comparison each person knows something sometimes wrong sometimes right in the end NO ONE is a Expert!

It is just a schwinn...

Back