When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Prewar White Schwinn oval grips?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

ADReese

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Can anyone tell me anymore about these grips? They came on a late '40 Schwinn straight bar. I've had dozens of black ones over the years, but I've never seen white ones. These are the ovals and not the mid 50s tapered oval. They also have old sales tax tokens glued in the ends to keep them from blowing out.

These are the schwinn oval grips you see in the 40s and 50s. The most common color is obviously black (as noted). The black ones ran all the way until the end of the 50s on the racer until they were discontinued. The white is very uncommon and I have only seen a handful of sets over the years. There are reproductions out there so you have to watch out and not pick those up. Yours are the read deal. I happen to be able to buy a set awhile back. Here is a catalog pic from Christmas 1950. The red ones are even more uncommon and I have only seen one real set and one fake set.

I still don't know if these were model specific or year specific as I haven't really seen them on an original bike.

Screen Shot 2022-01-03 at 11.11.58 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-01-03 at 11.12.07 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-01-03 at 11.12.18 AM.png

Back