When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Prices of parts

-
don't worry, this is a hobby of old farts like the Model A restorers. once we all die the prices will drop considerably. young people don't even know what a Schwinn is, let alone all these other bikes out there, besides you have to put down your electronic device and go outside to ride a bike. young people don't have time for that.

Last edited:
don't worry, this is a hobby of old farts like the Model A restorers. once we all die the prices will drop considerably. young people don't even know what a Schwinn is, let alone all these other bikes out there, besides you have to put down your electronic device and go out side to ride a bike. young people don't have time for that.
How True …AND they expect to have it handed to them …

I guess I retired too soon last September. When you work someplace where people are paying to throw away 60s-2000s bikes on a daily basis you get jaded. I gave more bikes to coworkers and friends than brought home over the years but they need to be ridden not hidden. I do kick myself for all the bikes and parts I probably saw in the 90s coming from basement and old garage clean outs. Stuff from the early 1900s-1950s every week. The old wooden crates of tools, emails, plumbing supplies always had a few other goodies floating around in the dust, cobwebs and rat turds. Back then I was bringing home the old woodworking tools, craftsman furniture, ceramics and other stuff for the house. Now if I had only saved one old English front brake caliper I could finish the 51 Rudge...😆

I would agree with Freqman. Of course it depends on the maker. Iver for example. If the hobby grows, prices will rise. Parts for many old bikes are out there sitting in boxes still and most likely cheap, but you have to find them, and this takes time. I like to surf the ebay and cabe for parts that are 1/2 of what they should be and eventually use them on one of my builds. The Fed printing money may or may not increase prices, probably not. Not sure if younger folks really are interested in this cool american made bicycle stuff, but that is ok with me looking for inexpensive parts that show on occation!🪶 I've been off the bike thing lately, but still watch for cheap parts on the bay...

Prices are a function of supply and demand.

As with other antiques there is limited supply and oftentimes when a rare specimen comes up for sale a bidding war ensues.

In a down economy prices will probably drift lower. Today with so much money floating around the economy prices are high.

It's really an age old question... Is what I own worth more or is my money worth less?

I'm betting on the worthless side.

"49 autocycledeluxe" hit the nail on the head I'd say with the model A restorers/we are a dying breed ( as is the old bicycle market to an extent). Also about ( most) kids not giving a rats butt about history or taking their azz off the couch/putting the cell phone down, or even lifting their heads from the cell phone screen. There is some fresh blood in the hobby, and interest in BMX and unique quality bicycles up to what...the 80's until most were imported, quality and pride long gone.

Sad, but a reality too. I collect vintage toys ( also a shrinking market/especially pre-50's) some oil and gas, soda pop advertising, store props etc., guitars and of course bicycles ( for over 4 decades). I have a couple of collector cars and a vintage motorcycle. I collect what I like ( and can afford) and don't really expect to make money if and when I sell. I used to sell lots of stuff while raising a young family/had to. With parts, it's all relative to supply and demand unless in an auction and it's a bidding war of pride. All I know is I usually collect stuff that is hard to find, expensive to fix, and takes time to complete. That's why I'm crazy.

Back