When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Probably a stupid coaster brake question

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

colonelpowers

Finally riding a big boys bike
Hello,
Most of what I fool with is old fixed gear stuff but I thought that while I was waiting for a few bits to arrive for the old Bradway bike that I would take everything apart clean and grease it up. I haven't worked on a coaster brake hub in ages and this bike has a leverless Musselman hub. So my dumb question is, are you supposed to grease the internal brake parts? Everything was filthy and greasy inside when I took it apart so I lightly greased it inside when I put it back together. Spins great but there is pretty much no brakes. Should it be dry inside?

Thanks and God Bless,

Joshua A Powers

Joshua, i am not a Mussleman expert but have worked on one and had the same experiencr as you. No brakes.. I cleaned all the internal parts and greased the bearings only. I then had brakes but they were no where as good as a Morrow or a New Departure.

Yeah man. I havent owned a musselman, specifically, but I think I can speak for all coaster brakes: grease everything. Liberally. It's dissimilar metal on metal contact that makes you stop. You can experiment w grease to try and find a best result (check in w sheldonbrown.com), but I have had good luck with just plain ol Phil Wood bearing grease. There is a brief wear-in period. You'll need to take it around your neighborhood and stand on it a few times. It's not really your brakes that get better, it's you that gets used to the brakes. Make sure your pads are actually good (it can be hard to tell). Coaster hubs that don't have enough grease sometimes squeal - add more grease. Honestly, fresh off a rebuild, coaster brakes aren't really super-responsive if you're used to disc brakes, or even rims brakes for that matter. Once they are well worn in, they are hard to beat.

All hubs will use grease on bearings but it depends on the hub whether it requires grease or oil on the braking components. I can think of no coaster brake meant to be run dry. I also have a armless Musselman and braking is marginal. I just don't think it was a good design. V/r Shawn

Last edited:
they work great when the brake parts aren’t worn

Musselman is probably one of the best hubs available in my opinion. Super simple to work on and roll for ever .Brakes not a problem

99221C2B-49C6-498C-869F-85B80CF2259B.jpeg

Morrows are great until the Brake sleeve wears out.......Ive had some scary moments with a worn out Morrow and also a ND!!! In my opinion the best Coaster brake ever made is the single speed Bendix red band.....They are easy to service and extremely durable....Here is also a service tip on those......The 4 brake shoe set out of a Bendix 76 will work in a red band.....You can actually find those around that have never been used......Install a set of those in Your red band and You will be pleasantly surprised.....

Back