When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

probably won't be able to tell the type of bike by the photo...

-

piercer_99

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Hope I am not out of line here, I just wanted to share this cool set of photos with you all.

The guy on the bike, is the Dad of one of my friends from high school, in the older photo (when he was young), he was stationed in Bassingbourn England in spring of 1943, he was 19. The photo was taken 4 or 5 weeks before he got to spend the next 19 months in the care of Hitler and his crew, between stalag 7 and stalag 19 (I believe), for the remainder of the war until he was liberated. He was a top gunner on the HelNo Gal, both times it was shot down. The second time was when the handful of guys who lived were captured.

Anyway, the other is kind of a reenactment shot, last year in Marana, AZ at the airshow he was 93 in this photo.

He is 94 this year, and still just as spry. A heck of a guy, who raised some great kids.

Anyway, here are the photos of Walter, an American hero, and his bicycle.

Hell No Gal.jpg

Walter Ram 2017.jpg

His son, my friend, posted this a week ago.

I am very proud to add that my dad, MSGT Walter Ram USAAF(Ret), will be receiving his SECOND Purple Heart Medal for injuries sustained 76 years ago during a crash landing after being shot down in battle by nazi fighter planes during a mission in WWII. The presentation ceremony will be held at Davis Monthan Air Force base on August 20, 2019. Dad was a crew member on the B-17 "Helno-gal" from the 331st Bomb Squadron, 94th Bomb Group, 8th Air Force. Special thank you to COL Reed C. Olson USAR(Ret) for your unrelenting efforts over the last few years to make this happen.

Here is the Helno-gal

1566363361452.png

Last edited:
Riding a bike tends to keep one spry!

Hope I am not out of line here, I just wanted to share this cool set of photos with you all.

The guy on the bike, is the Dad of one of my friends from high school, in the older photo (when he was young), he was stationed in Bassingbourn England in spring of 1943, he was 19. The photo was taken 4 or 5 weeks before he got to spend the next 19 months in the care of Hitler and his crew, between stalag 7 and stalag 19 (I believe), for the remainder of the war until he was liberated. He was a top gunner on the HelNo Gal, both times it was shot down. The second time was when the handful of guys who lived were captured.

Anyway, the other is kind of a reenactment shot, last year in Marana, AZ at the airshow he was 93 in this photo.

He is 94 this year, and still just as spry. A heck of a guy, who raised some great kids.

Anyway, here are the photos of Walter, an American hero, and his bicycle.

View attachment 900531

View attachment 900532

Back