When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Problem with the rear hub? I think. Please help.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Robertriley

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
I have an 20's Elgin and when I took it out for a spin last night my feet slipped right of the pedal due to the crank doing a 180 degree free spin. This is the second time this has happened and only when I stand up and use more pressure. I took the rear hub apart after the first time and it looked perfect??? What should I look for? What could it be? It's a New departure C hub. Please help.

Thanks, Chris

Last edited:
According to a book I have, the trouble may be one of 3 things:
a. Damaged or broken transfer spring.
b. Damaged clutch or damaged driver.
c. Worn-out brake clutch.

The transfer spring is the most likely culprit and is the easiest to find and replace. If you find that is the problem, I can send you one, but I'm going to be out of town for a week, so if you are in a hurry you might advertise in the "Buy and Sell" for one.

Thanks Gordon,
I'm not in a hurry, I won't have the time to tear into it for a while. I'll let you know when I do. By the way, what book do you have? From the sounds of it, it sounds like something I should pick up.

I can't remember the name of the book off the top of my head, I'll let you know when I get home. I'm currently in San Diego for graduation events. When you tear down the hub, the transfer spring has a little tab on it that fits in a slot in the clutch. That little tab can get bent or broken.

Just let me know when you gert home then. Your about an hour and a half from right now. Weird

Sent the book info in a private message, but if anone else is reading this thread and is interested, the book is from about 1955 and is titled "Bicycle Owner's Complete Handbook" published by Floyd Clymer.

I had a similar problem with my old Hawthorne Flyer. Too much grease will cause it to act like that. I disassembled the New Departure hub, wiped it off and put it back together. A drop or two of SAE 30 oil (any kind should do ok) in the nib and it works great.
Did you grease it recently?
Fattommy

Probably too much grease. If you serviced the hub recently, I bet that's the problem. Happened to me. Just disassemble the rear hub, wipe the grease off and apply a drop or two of SAE 30 motor oil(or any type will be ok). Reassemble and test it.
Good Luck, Fattommy

Back