When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Problems adding a nexus wheel on a Classic/Vintage Bike

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

oskisan

I live for the CABE
I have a couple nexus wheels I have picked up over the past couple years, a 3 speed hub with a coaster brake, and one without a brake. I was going to put the one with a coaster brake on a shelby frame when I found out that the measurements for the rear dropout on the schwinn frame (the one the wheel originally came off of) is 5.25 inches, while the shelby is 4.5 inches. I could "cold set" the shelby frame to accommodate the nexus wheel, but I would prefer not to alter the frame as I want to keep it where I can transition back and forth between a new departure and the nexus wheel. Has anyone here worked through this issue, and if so how did you work out the problem? Do I need to look at another wheel? Is it possible to move the brake assemble to the outside of the frame (this would buy me the room I need). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ken

With coaster brake
IMG_2767.jpg

Without Coaster brake
IMG_2770.jpg

Frame spacing for the Shelby and motorbike

IMG_2772.jpg

IMG_2774.jpg

I have a couple nexus wheels I have picked up over the past couple years, a 3 speed hub with a coaster brake, and one without a brake. I was going to put the one with a coaster brake on a shelby frame when I found out that the measurements for the rear dropout on the schwinn frame (the one the wheel originally came off of) is 5.25 inches, while the shelby is 4.5 inches. I could "cold set" the shelby frame to accommodate the nexus wheel, but I would prefer not to alter the frame as I want to keep it where I can transition back and forth between a new departure and the nexus wheel. Has anyone here worked through this issue, and if so how did you work out the problem? Do I need to look at another wheel? Is it possible to move the brake assemble to the outside of the frame (this would buy me the room I need). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ken

img_2774-jpg.jpg
Looks like some good stuff right there. Have more pics of your projects?

My rider Phantom with a 7 speed Nexus laced into an S2...Took it off, going to redo with a 2 speed manual Bendix.
rsz_phantom7speed.jpg

I put a 7 speed Nexus on a Hiawatha Super and had to do a bit of spreading of the dropouts to get it in. Took a bit of work but the bike rides fine after 10k miles. Jay

I guess, you called "Cold" set, there is thread here or on ratrodbikes on making a threaded tool to do this. Also note you have to go a bit father so the rear wheel can be easily removed to change the tire in case of a flat.

Thanks guys.. I was hoping not to Cold Set the frame as I want to be able to interchange between the nexus and new departure (put it back to be the way it is suppose to be). I'll try brute force on the frame to see if I an get it to fit in there (looks like it is off by about an inch), either that or I'll have to find more of an old sacrificial frame to do this on.
Ken-

Old American iron is pretty malleable, an inch shouldn't be a problem. These classics are much better riders w/ more speeds. Good luck & have fun w/ it.

Back