When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

product to clean old bearings?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Fire safety is always a good point, but it depends--there are two types of brake cleaner Chlorinated and non-chlorinated. The chlorinated ones (I think) are non-flammable but they are heavy in VOCs and nasty ones. They've been banned in a few states. The non-chlorinated are full of highly flammable stuff. They also are full of things like Toluene, Xylene, and Benzene--I'd rather bathe in kerosene. If you're in Califonia, any brand of brake cleaner in your hand is flammable. Plus, I think kerosene just does a better job--specifically on old hardened grease, though it takes a little longer

Regular 87 OCTANE Gasoline, just like what you'd put in your Lawnmower's Gas can , or any ordinary non high performance automobile that can run fine with the least expensive 87 OCTANE gas.

YOU DO NEED TO DO THIS OUTSIDE, AWAY FROM PETS, CHILDREN, FLAME, SPARKS, ETC...!!!

Ordinary aluminum beer & Coke cans work best. Simply cut an ordinary 12oz/355ml Coke/beer can in half using a pair of scissors. First gently poke a hole in the side of the Coke can with the tip end of the scissors and then it will be extremely easy to cut the Coke can in half. It doesn't have to be exactly in half.......you can just go with the bottom third of the can....whatever gives you enough that you can essentially drown and soak the caged bearing in.

I use a different Coke/beer can for each of the #64 caged bottom bracket-crank bearings when cleaning and re-greasing-reusing them in the same Schwinn, so that I can make certain to replace the old now cleaned & regreased #64 caged bottom bracket-crank bearings in exactly the same side(formation) as when removed. That isn't all that critical, as if the bearings are in great shape, it shouldn't matter, but I am a little weird in doing things a certain way. YOU DON'T NEED MUCH Gasoline AT ALL!!! -------just a few ounces in each can............. Take an unpainted wire coathanger and cut approximately a five inch section from the straight part...................then with that 5 inch piece of coathanger............make a J- bend at one end of it, so that you can retrieve the "Formula 87" soak in the cut in half Coke can.

I recommend Waterproof GREEN Grease which is synthetic and comes in the 14 OZ(397grams), aproximately twelve inches long X two inch diameter.....mini tennis ball can thingy which is essentially a grease gun cartridge......... IT IS APPROXIMATELY $10 at one of the local auto parts stores.....either AUTOZONE or O'Reilly's.....can't remember........... For bike use this amount will last nearly forever unless you do nearly 100 bicycles. Don't worry as you can recap this mini tennis ball can thingy with nothing but ordinary Aluminum foil(reynolds wrap or whatever brand) from your kitchen and rubber bands......and then maybe place the can thingy in an old empty but cleaned bread loaf wrapper(plastic) with the twist tie.
OMNI Lubricants of Lewisville Texas makes it. www.greengrease.com UPC code 8 39639 00101 6 telephone number 1-877-GO-GREASE, 1-877-464-7327......................... I recommend this more than anything else..........no need to spend more because this inexpensive GREEN grease is better/or at least as good as the most expensive competitors on the market.
Use a plastic spoon or plastic knife........like what you might get at McDonalds with a sundae or with hotcakes, for scooping out the portion of grease needed. Hope this is a useful suggestion. 87 Octane gasoline, fresh new gasoline just as you'd put into your lawnmower will work great for cleaning bearings! DON'T TRY TO USE OLD or STALE GASOLINE!!! USE FRESH GASOLINE!!! BE SAFE!!!! KNOW THE POTENTIAL HAZARDS AND REMAIN SOBER AS YOU DO THIS. Remember you don't need to use a large amount..........the beer/Coke can method is great and doesn't waste much gas.............SOAK FOR MINIMUM OF TWO HOURS........I like doing it for 24 hours or at least overnight but you might not have outside conditions where that would be safe for your pets, children and your neighbors pets & children..... so do choose to be safe and respect the hazards of gasoline.

I'am not shure what everyone talking about ? but it sounds like what i did in the 80's when i restored cars! now i have a ultrasonic cleaner, simple green, water and run it through 3 cycles its done! its non toxic. love it....I did go back and read Boris and Vincev said i get it !!!

Last edited:
Lately, I've been having luck with WD-40 Brand "Industrial Strength Degreaser" for tougher jobs. This is the stuff in the tall, metal spray can. I go to this stuff when I need something more than the norm. I use a metal bristled brush on the item after soaking in the degreaser. In many cases, WD-40 or kerosene or Simple Green will absolutely work. But I've come across some greases and oils that leave a very hard varnish-like finish on parts, and the varnish left over will really put up a fight. This degreaser and a metal bristle brush get rid of that varnish.

Berryman dip type carb solvent. 1 gallon can lasts a decade. Stinks. Bad. But, cleans dirty, greasy stuff about prefect. I always rinse in boiling water, and dump that in my rock garden to kill the dandelions.
Cleans better than it kills dandelions.
Ted

Back