When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

product to clean old bearings?

-
In my experience WD40 works pretty well in a pinch when I'm at home and don't have access to the solvent tank at work.

I use either kerosene or gasoline to soak the bearings in a glass jar, put on the top and give it a good shake. These bearings are from my 46 Rollfast had thick gummy grease that easily cleaned off. This method works well for chains too leaving them spotless. The gunk will eventually settle to the bottom of the jar then you can transfer the cleaner liquid to another jar and dump the dirty one.

View attachment 1333270

I suggest not using a “glass “Jar ... use a discarded can from canned food
I

LA's Totally Awesome "concentrated cleaner", a yellow liquid at a dollar store near you. Great stuff and cheap.
A friend recommended this stuff to me a few years ago, and I was sold on it immediately. Buy the gallon size for a buck! After soaking them in the Orange I usually plunk 'em in a vat WD40 and clean 'em off with my girlfriends toothbrush. If using this method, be sure to return toothbrush so she'll be none the wiser.

A friend recommended this stuff to me a few years ago, and I was sold on it immediately. Buy the gallon size for a buck! After soaking them in the Orange I usually plunk 'em in a vat WD40 and clean 'em off with my girlfriends toothbrush. If using this method, be sure to return toothbrush so she'll be none the wiser.
I have to agree with the pin head.I buy cheap degreaser at the dollar store.The degreaser works well on other items around the house and is cheap.

I have that Totally Awesome Cleaner from the Dollar Store and have used it on other stuff and works really well. I still have to clean the crank bearings of my Shelby so I will give it a try.

Hey, at least yours still has her own teeth.
018b6b_0efc91f84e734136ac15ebb9da6af731_mv2.jpg

I think kerosene works better than brake cleaner. Put bearings, balls down. in jar or small tub/bucket and get a circular motion going--you'll hear when the balls start rolling quickly and you'll see the kerosene cloud with dirt. kerosene is pretty cheap--especially in 5 gal. cans for heaters.

Back