When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Project '53 Monark spare parts build

-

ditchpig

Finally riding a big boys bike
Wanted a frame to run these Sturmey Archer drum brakes on. Tires look so skinny sitting in that frame. Will be putting cream tires on soon. Looking for a pair of 80's shimano road weighted platform pedals.. called aramac? or something similar I think. 'Adamas' I just found some.....
Cranks are old bmx 180 Profile Racing with a 5 bolt ring adapter. You can see that I cut a drop bar and exteded it with syncros long barends. Getting some bare brass repro Royal Enfield brake levers and using a cute brass bar mounted choke lever for the 3-speed shifter. Found some new fabric covered cable housings for a period look. Will try match the fork to the faded frame plum colour. Have a line on a hairpin saddle that I might try and a 7/8 adjustable tom drum mount shaft for a seatpost. Might fail before I get to the mailbox...... will post progress images if there's any interest. Fun!

20211118_123548.jpg

20211118_123419.jpg

20211118_115300.jpg

Last edited:
I'm liking it all. The tires do look a little thin but the ride is cool all around. I'm in the process of a '53 SK build with a kickback hub ( maybe ) and a Worksman forebrake, orange bricks and raw metal frame. I'll be watching your build.....
Ian

I'm liking it all. The tires do look a little thin but the ride is cool all around. I'm in the process of a '53 SK build with a kickback hub ( maybe ) and a Worksman forebrake, orange bricks and raw metal frame. I'll be watching your build.....
Ian
Thanks for sure! Can't get wider/fatter tires for those kooky British rims. But will at least look better w/creams. Have the original balloon fenders too but would have to do some body work to fit with these forks and would likely make the tire size appear even odder. Kickback would be nice and clean...Looking up a Worksman....not familiar with them. Will be doing more on warmer, dryer days. Thanks again for the reply.
Kryn

Cool looking ride !
I'm thinking you may be referring to our '63 microbus? Yes it's also been a fun project. Just as hard to find parts for...... and if you meant the Monark...thanks as well! You know it's mostly all been done before but it's fun to come up with something a little different. Looking forward to putting this one together. Thanks for any ideas!

I just built a bare metal Cruiser out of extra Monark parts. Used tandem wheels to get the heavy spoke look, and the Sunlite 26" x 2.250s diamond cut tread. They fill the bike up nicely.

Last edited:
Back