I stopped at the bike shop today on my way home to look through the old rims, and as fate would have it I found two NOS Weinmann 116 polished alloy 27x1.25" rims. They are filthy but I think they will clean up. I was planning on using my original rims because they are in very good condition, but considering I found these "era correct" replacements I'm probably going to use them instead, and it will still have that shiny chrome look...
Love Simichrome... its expensive when you compare it ounce to ounce, but a little goes a long way and it doesn't have an overpowering ammonia smell like the others.
Went for a ride this morning and worked on dad's bike this afternoon...
1. Cleaned and lubed freewheel... using WD40 you spray it into the back where the bearings are, you spin it in a cardboard box so it doesn't sling everywhere, and you keep repeating that process about a dozen times, then using an airgun you blow out the excess WD40 because you don't want that diluting your lube, and now you are ready to fill it with your favorite lube (I use Phil Tenacious Oil) using the same method, by adding and spinning until it comes out the other side.
2. Bottom bracket... adjusted and dialed in perfectly, its buttery smooth and rocks endlessly like pendulum, can't do that with your modern sealed bearings!
3. Installed... crank set with modified single gear sprocket, NOS pedals, stem/handlebars, and brake calipers.
4. Also installed the custom shifter... it was a 12-speed with 2 stem shifters and now a 6-speed, so I put an NOS single friction shifter on the downtube to eliminate all the clutter. I think the shifter was originally designed for a stem, so I had to open it up to accommodate the larger diameter down tube, file the edges so it wouldn't dig into the frame/paint, use a piece of white vinyl to protect the frame/paint, and use a longer bolt to reach the widened clamp.
Moving right along, hoping to build the wheels next week...
Thanks, we had no power for 20 hours from Sunday into Monday, so things were weird on Monday with no heat and filling coolers with ice for fridge/freezer items.
Back to normal after work today I had an hour to play, so I decided to tackle replacing the original brake shoes that were hard as a rock due to age...
- Objective was to use original Dia-Compe holders because they look nicer and era correct than just replacement pads without holders
- Purchased Kool-Stop replacement salmon pads (one of the best and Made in USA)
- This can be tricky and tedious because you have to bend the rear tab carefully without breaking it
- Using a screwdriver you tap between the pad and rear holder bending it slightly, then you can get under the pad and pry it out
- Now using pliers you carefully bend the tab so you have enough room to slide the new pad in
- Next you want to take a file and clean up any rough edges on the tab you might have created while bending it
- Insert new pad, they are very tight going in but that is what you want, and it can be a little tricky to get it over the stud hump
- Pay close attention to the arrows on the pads as they should face top forward on the bike (this is so the built-in toe-in is correct)
- Once pad is fully inserted gently tap it with a small hammer to massage the tab back into its rightful place
Finished, brand new quality shoes in the original style holders, now she will have excellent stopping power and be quiet too!
Built the wheels this afternoon in traditional 4-cross, while it appears very unexciting there was a lot of pre-prep work that went into it (rebuild hubs, polished crusty rims, service freewheel, SS spokes tough to find in correct length so had to go 1mm shorter). The hubs are dialed in perfectly and the rims are trued perfectly, a great feeling when finished as they spin beautifully...
Well my plan was to put the wheels and tires together on Sunday and get them mounted on the bike, but I ripped one of the rim bands putting the tube valve stem through. (Lesson learned, if its a tight fit coat the valve stem with a little silicone and place the stem through the rim band before pushing it through the rim.) So I picked up another set of rim bands, put the wheels and tires together today and got them mounted onto the bike. She now stands on her own two feet and the new wheels spin really sweet.
Today was the big day, not only did I plan on finishing it up 99% but there also was heavy rain last night that washed the salt off the streets, so that was a major blessing because it allowed me to take if for a short test flight in the neighborhood, because I wasn't going to take a freshly restored bike onto salt covered roads...
1. Dialed in the stem alignment
2. Routed the brake cables and adjusted the brakes
3. Routed and adjusted the shifter cable
4. Installed seat and post
Test flight went great, smooth and quiet, felt like a brand new bike, only issue was the brakes were too good, too touchy, will have to back them off a tad.
Final step for next Sunday is to wrap the bars with tape!