When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Project Hawthorne De Luxe: Putting a 100 year old bicycle on the road for $100

-
these older 28 inch bikes did have dropstands,only the clip that held the stand up was attached to the stand itself not the fender,they are hard ones to find.
I didn't know that. I assumed based on the 1916 and 1917 illustrations that they had just come without. More research to do!

"One curious detail: I note that the little bracket, for the skirt guard, right above the rear axle on the left side is present on the left side of your bike but missing on the right. The same is the case for mine.". Looks like there's a hole there for one though? Seems like this would be an easy enough thing to fabricate. I bet someone has one that's been sitting in a parts bin for years. Although I doubt you will be wearing a skirt while riding the skirt guard adds a cool dynamic to the bike. Kinda nice the bike seems to not have had a dropstand - although I was curious as to how a fabricated dropstand and clip would have turned out. Have fun and continue enjoying this build!
It was actually included in the little bag of hardware that the seller included. The skirt guard is definitely happening. As for a skirt, if my readership really insists, I'll shoot some photos wearing one on the bike - if they can find a period-styled skirt and blouse that can fit my 6'8", 230 pound frame.

The drop stand is still on my radar. A big part of what happens next depends on whether I end up bringing home the worst Schwinn Circuit on eBay.

Speaking of hardware, what is the proper name for this little bolt? This one looks rather chewed, and I would be much more comfortable if I could replace it.

23E0E6DD-62CF-485F-A2C9-07980E1AC8C1.jpeg

Reactions: JLF
Wow. The price sure went up a lot in 4 years based on the catalog pictures above. What's the difference between the roadster model and coaster brake model? I would go with the stem on the left. Looks cool and period. I'm sure you'll find a use for the other on a future project. Pretty cool you found the twin for it too. Dontcha just love the cabe?
It's my understanding that the roadster is what we would call today a fixed wheel bike.

What do you need left and what did you use the parts bikes for other than rear hub?
What do I need left? That's a good question.

I think I have all the parts to do the bicycle in budget, ish. I wouldn't say "no" to a trade for period-styled grips or a period front axle, but given that I don't know who made the front axle as of yet, that seems a moot point.

I suspect that once I have the bicycle moving, that a certain number of little things will break and will have to be dealt with.

The biggest thing I need at the moment is data. I haven't found period literature that shows a bicycle with the same frame, paint scheme, and fenders. Once I have that, moving forward with any missing pieces will be easier.

I know, at present, that the frame is physically different from the one illustrated in the 1920, 1921, and 1922 Montgomery Ward catalogs. (They do, however, The 1916 and 1917 Montgomery Ward catalogs have the same frame and many details, but the paint is a solid color and the fork is different. The 1932 catalog shows a similar frame, but the fenders are wrong.

If not for the single brace between the bottom tube and the top tube, and the different color, I would say that this 1921 Hawthorne is the closest match. The headbadge matches, as does the seat. The paint scheme is identical, but in a different color. The fork appears the same. The sprocket, however, appears to be a Schwinn one, rather than the Snyder / Harris one on my bike. The fenders are almost the same, save that the front in the catalog has a mud flap. If I could learn more, I could do a better job of getting the bike back on the road as it was.

As for parts used:
  • pedals
  • grips
  • axles front and rear
  • frame pieces to make drop stand and brackets
  • all sorts of hardware for assembly
  • minor brackets
  • all those little $10 things that add up when you don't have a parts stash.
I had planned to use the tires, wheels, and spokes, but then a bicycle with 700c wheels came up cheap, and I could not resist. However, if I cannot sell enough off of said bike to bring the costs down to zero, I may have to resort to using the wheels from the parts bikes. Further, I had planned to use a stem from one of the bikes, but I'm thinking now that the existing one is more correct.

Another very similar bicycle, collection of Wheels of the Past antique bicycle museum.

original?tenant=vbu-digital.jpg

Also, there's a ton of information in the Black Beauty / Hawthorne DeLuxe thread, but nothing I feel 100% solid on.

I think I may just go with the model that I like the most, so long as I don't mess up original material.

Last edited:
Reactions: JLF
If you really want to dig deeper into the maker(DPH/Snyder) and/or year further, the area where your serial number is shown below. If you scrape away the thick black paint you should find it. Be aware that many abhor this act on the very desirable bikes, but this is not really one. Up to you.

Back