When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROJECT QUICK CHANGE - SUBJECT: Schwinn Dixie. CURRENT BUILD: Muscle Bike.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Well, things just keep getting weirder. I had said earlier that unless the deadline for the Muscle Bike Build Off was extended to March 1st, I was going to throw in the towel on making this Schwinn into a muscle bike. Well, the deadline's been pushed back to March 1st, and now I've practically decided that I don't want to continue trying to turn this Schwinn into a muscle bike even though I've now got more time to get it done! After running into a snag with my welder being unavailable for who knows how long, not being able to find a seat that closely matches the paint color I want to use at a price I could afford, and other "life" problems, I'm just about ready to call it quits on this bike and work on something easier.

And while I was typing all that, it got even weirder. I just heard back from someone on OfferUp who has a seat I was thinking of using, and I might be on the verge of overcoming one of the biggest stumbling blocks of this build! I'm waiting to hear back on my reply I just sent, and if this seat looks like what I need to make this bike happen, I may continue with this project after all.

I love your style man. Never give up. Instead show up and show out!! I'm tearing down my,81 western flyer as I type. Looking for a cool muscle bike frame just to see what I can do.
Thanks! I haven't given up just yet, but I might switch back to building Poison Apple with what I've got for the MBBO, and just make this one into a nice cruiser. Hopefully, I'll have an update and a few photos later today.

I switched to a slightly wider pair of ape hangers as the one's I had on just looked a little too narrow for this bike. I also tried mocking up my Mattel V-RROOM! motor and a speedometer I got at a swap meet last year. I'm not going to use either on this bike, as the motor's cord is frayed and just barely too short to fit on this bike with the ape hangers, and the speedometer has a cap that is busted and needs replacing. Also, it just ended up looking too cluttered for my tastes.
View attachment 1323983
View attachment 1323984
View attachment 1323985
View attachment 1323986
View attachment 1323987
View attachment 1323988

I took off the toy motor and the speedometer, but left the other handlebars on. Much better, but there's still missing something, and not just a tank...
View attachment 1323989
View attachment 1323990
View attachment 1323991
View attachment 1323992
View attachment 1323993

I have a few fence post toppers I've been wanting to use as headlights/taillights or reflector housings for a while now. I had Dad help me mock these up. I'm not sure if I'll use these right now, but I'll definitely want to use them at some point.
View attachment 1323994
View attachment 1323995
View attachment 1323996
View attachment 1323997

I'm also thinking of using these old steel toes as "vents" on my tank. Not sure how I'll mount them yet, but I think they'd look cool.
View attachment 1323998
View attachment 1323999

There's still a few things left to figure out, particularly colors, but I feel pretty confident I've got the general look of this bike figured out. Feel free to let me know what you think of everything so far! More progress coming soon!
I had one of those Mattel VROOOM bike motors on my 20"Hiawatha Cadet when I was a kid. I haven't seen one of these in 50 years. Still pretty cool looking. My mom went nuts with that motor cause I wore it out doing the VROOOM, VROOOM all day long. Man that was fun. Bikes looking good. RideOn. Razin.

I had one of those Mattel VROOOM bike motors on my 20"Hiawatha Cadet when I was a kid. I haven't seen one of these in 50 years. Still pretty cool looking. My mom went nuts with that motor cause I wore it out doing the VROOOM, VROOOM all day long. Man that was fun. Bikes looking good. RideOn. Razin.
Cool! Got any photos of your old bike with that motor?

Yeah, when this one works, (when,) it gets LOUD! I had no idea just how loud these motors could get! It's cool how much it sounds like an actual motor, though. Mine's not in the best shape, especially the wire, but since I'm not using it on anything currently, I want to help folks who are thinking about about getting one of these by starting a thread where I share as much info on these V-RROOM! motors as I can. Dimensions, weight, mounting hardware, repairs, whatever info I can provide and whatever info I can find, so anyone thinking about getting one of these will know if it'll work for their bike. That'll all have to wait until later though.

Back