When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROJECT QUICK CHANGE - SUBJECT: Schwinn Dixie (Custom 1950s Schwinn DX Bare Metal Bike)

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
@coasterbrakejunkie1969 I'm already Re evaluating my life choices having a girls Cruiser 7, a Windwood, & a Delmar (it donated some parts) but both in Schwinn Pink haunt me.

I can't sell the damn thing for $60 ready to ride jus' to barely recoup buying it for someone who flaked on it.

I got some parts for $60 or break out the Ultra Matte Black :rolleyes:

Even I would draw the line at that one, I would however take one for the wheels. Ladies bikes are brutal, no one wants them. Kinda makes me sad our society has gotten to the point where most people think the only way to get something is to buy it new. the same people that are protesting landfills and want to save our national resources. I laugh thinking about how many completely worn out tires I have found on old bikes. The old peeps used to ride them till they died. Most people today will head to the walmarts once the chain falls off or they get a flat. I have stopped worrying for and caring about those people. I don't live like that and I will teach my kids to do the same. I guess it means more vintage stuff for us.

@Bike from the Dead lay it between 2 boards & hit it with a dead blow mallet or hammer. Should straighten it out. Easiest way to know is stick a magnet to it; No Sticky it's Not enough Iron content. Paint stripper or Goof Off Graffiti Remover works Best so you could change the color or polish it once final cuts & forming has been done. I have some I thought of using before for the same ideas of lighting on the bike
I'd have to get 2 big sheets of plywood for this thing if I do that, and I've seen just how "straight" those boards are whether I get them from Lowe's or Home Depot. Still, that may be the best way to go about it. Magnet, yup, easiest way to know for sure. Just haven't tested it yet. Feels heavy enough to be steel, that's for sure. And it's bare metal, so no paint stripper necessary.

Even I would draw the line at that one, I would however take one for the wheels. Ladies bikes are brutal, no one wants them. Kinda makes me sad our society has gotten to the point where most people think the only way to get something is to buy it new. the same people that are protesting landfills and want to save our national resources. I laugh thinking about how many completely worn out tires I have found on old bikes. The old peeps used to ride them till they died. Most people today will head to the walmarts once the chain falls off or they get a flat. I have stopped worrying for and caring about those people. I don't live like that and I will teach my kids to do the same. I guess it means more vintage stuff for us.
Unless it's free or darn close to free, I won't even touch these kinds of bikes. Only reason I'd get them is for the wheels and tires. Good source for them as long as you don't care about the wheels not looking period-correct, plus they're nice and light. And yeah, it is annoying how disposable everything is these days. Almost makes me wish I worked at a metal recycling plant or dump so I could save more bikes and bike parts from being trashed.

Unless it's free or darn close to free, I won't even touch these kinds of bikes. Only reason I'd get them is for the wheels and tires. Good source for them as long as you don't care about the wheels not looking period-correct, plus they're nice and light. And yeah, it is annoying how disposable everything is these days. Almost makes me wish I worked at a metal recycling plant or dump so I could save more bikes and bike parts from being trashed.
Have $50 in it + the ride. Bought it for a woman who said she wanted a bike to ride to lose weight :rolleyes: Shame on me for thinking some people's word is worth a SpHit !!! I changed the rusty bars, scrubbed it down Good & she was "supposed" to go with me to wally world to get grips for it & pay me; this was back in late March 'ish. Said she wanted it but had bills etc that after the 3rd she'd buy it but the liar is instead going to Savannah GA for mother's day:rolleyes:

I agree with the wheels making for decent lightweight use. Same for the thin universal type rack & then klunker or repurpose parts I guess. Sorry to thread clutter

Have $50 in it + the ride. Bought it for a woman who said she wanted a bike to ride to lose weight :rolleyes: Shame on me for thinking some people's word is worth a SpHit !!! I changed the rusty bars, scrubbed it down Good & she was "supposed" to go with me to wally world to get grips for it & pay me; this was back in late March 'ish. Said she wanted it but had bills etc that after the 3rd she'd buy it but the liar is instead going to Savannah GA for mother's day:rolleyes:

I agree with the wheels making for decent lightweight use. Same for the thin universal type rack & then klunker or repurpose parts I guess. Sorry to thread clutter
Thanks for the offer, but I'll pass for now. I really need to stop buying bike stuff until I sell the stuff I'm not using.

No worries about the thread clutter, you're good.

I think I've figured out the general direction I want to take this bike. I just need to figure out the exact direction I want to go now. I kept coming back to my first idea for how I was going to put this bike together, and just how clean it looked.
View attachment 1404138
Problem is that right now, I can't make the tank as big as I had originally planned, which also means I can't use those '57 Thunderbird fender vents like I wanted. The tank needs to fit inside the frame, without the sides of the tank resting on the sides of the frame. So, how do I get a similarly clean look using the space and parts I've got? I sketched up a few ideas on paper, then redrew and colored them in Photoshop. Here's what I came up with:

This first idea involved using some O or G gauge train tracks laid inside the tank. It looks neat, but not as much as my next idea.
View attachment 1404139
Clean and simple. One model train track rail or strip of stainless over the outside portion of the tank, with a different color indentation at the front. The question now is what colors and tank materials am I using? The bulk of the tank will be made of whatever wood I have laying around, but that inner layer might use something else.
View attachment 1404140
View attachment 1404141
I have this red acrylic bug deflector and this scrap piece of grated sheet metal that I've been thinking of using on a bike, but only recently have I thought about using it in the tank, maybe with some LEDs inside to light it up.
View attachment 1404142
View attachment 1404143
Here were some ideas using those parts. I'm not crazy about building another bare metal and black bike again, at least not right now, so I think this bike needs some color.
View attachment 1404144
I'm thinking I could either make the indentation using the red acrylic, maybe with the grated sheet behind it, or in front of it, with some LEDs lighting up from inside. Red's not really one of my favorite colors, in fact it's my 2nd least favorite color, but as an accent color, red looks alright to me.
View attachment 1404145
View attachment 1404146
View attachment 1404147
I then just had to see what it'd look like if not just the tank was different colors, but I wanted to see how it'd look if the fenders, chain guard, seat and handlebar grips were different colors too. First, a color scheme inspired by my 1964 Mercury Comet...
View attachment 1404148
...and then one in green.
View attachment 1404149
Overall, I love the new tank design. Now I just have to figure out what colors and materials I want to use on it.

Stay tuned! More to come!
Love the back lit red in the tank idea! I would do it just like the first black and red rendering except make the fenders black! Not a big fan of the resale all red bikes either but do love the red accents on black!

Back