When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Proper saddle for a postwar DX?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

barracuda

I live for the CABE
I'm piecing together a postwar Schwinn DX and from looking around it seems a variety of seats were used on these. What are my options for a correct one?

Would have probably had a sliding clamp troxel seat.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:
X2,exactly what mine had.

All depends on the year........early post war 40's DX? That's the seat.
48 and up, Fixed position chassis B1 mesinger, and probably vinyl not leather....could be exceptions as they were using up old inventory on the late 40's bikes.
Mid 50's could be Troxel or super cheapo 'loose' coil Mesinger vinyl saddle.

What about this seat?

I've seen this type of seat on dx bikes also. This pic comes from Geoffs heavyweight book. Pic is 49 bf goodrich. The seat in question looks like those mesinger two spring that were used until the 80s.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    226.9 KB · Views: 108
I'm piecing together a postwar Schwinn DX and from looking around it seems a variety of seats were used on these. What are my options for a correct one?
I'd say exactly what bob said. Sliding rail mesinger B1 up to 48 then the fixed rail after that would be the correct saddle.
Did schwinn even use troxel ??... besides the early obvious one?

Last edited:
Loose coil?

Is this one of those cheapie loose coil mesinger seats bob referred to?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    265.3 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
The seat in the 1948 catalog is listed as "Mesinger - padded," as opposed to the "Mesinger Deluxe" on the Autocycle models.

View attachment 187873
That's the one you want....if i recall deluxe had leather top and crash tabs... but I've seen the cloth type with tabs too... then some had the tab in the back that said schwinn. ...but I don't know much bout them... probably 49 50s thing??

Last edited:
Back