When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Proper shim for a 1941 Colson Super Cruiser Seat Post

-

popawheelie

Finally riding a big boys bike
I am putting together this Colson Firestone Super Cruiser, but the Shims for the seat post that came with it don't work, the thinner ones I ordered don't work.

What shim is needed for this bike? Does anyone know? I even doulbled up the thin shims and that isn't working either.

Help! lol

Michael Siddons

Thinking it would use a 3/4" seatpost, unless Colson stopped using them at some point.
img_20161016_150457906_hdr-jpg.jpg

As a last resort , just so I could ride the bike. I heated up a seat post until it was red hot . Then pounded a flat spot on the front side of the lucky 7 at the desired height it would be installed at bolt level. What it did was oval out the post a bit and it fit nice and tight. I had several different posts. Way too big. way too small. just right.... but would not tighten.
It worked.
When I go to swaps I always have my eye out for seat post shims. That's the kind of thing one finds at swaps if they take the time to "rummage" [and I like to rummage] through the boxes of stuff.
I bought 3 different post shims from fellow Caber Johnboy at Memory Lane last month for 5 bucks.When you need them they are hard to find.

I think, sometime after 36, Colson switched from 3/4in to 13/16 seat tube I.D. ...but they continued to use the 3/4 in seat post ...so the shim is whatever is necessary to span the gap... :confused:

Back