When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pulled from the recycling pile

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Rivnut

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
This 26" Schwinn womens' ballon bike was sitting on the top of a recycling bin in my neighbor hood today so I picked it up. I can't identify it though. The serial number on the left dropout is G831466 (as I read it.) It has the built in kickstand, the "scallops" painted on the frame, and a regular pitch chain and sprocket, It has truss bars with it, the front fender is drilled for a headlight, and the rear fender has a tab on it that attaches the fender to the frame. As far as I can tell all it needs is tires/wheels, and a seat/post.

I checked the available on line serail number lists but couldn't find this one. I'm hoping someone here might have some more clues. None of the lists have 6 digit serial numbers. Any help identifying this would be greatly appreciated.

Ed

100_3965.JPG
100_3966.JPG
100_3969.jpg
100_3970.JPG
100_3971.JPG
100_3973.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, guys.

Now I need to find some pictures of what it looked like originally. I've found a couple of links with Schwinn brochures in them, but for whatever reason, they year 1958 has been skipped.

Ed

Thanks, guys.

Now I need to find some pictures of what it looked like originally. I've found a couple of links with Schwinn brochures in them, but for whatever reason, they year 1958 has been skipped.

Ed

You will likely get an accurate representation from the '59 brochure. The dated serial number is a couple of months off (usually) from the actual production date. If that's the case, the bike could very well have been made in '58 for the '59 market. Make sense?

I found pictures of '58 Starlets as posted earlier, but each Starlet had Chrome fenders; the fenders on this finder are painted. The Starlet also shows a tank; there are no mounting lugs for a tank on this frame.

The 59's in the catalog son't show the "scalloped" paint scheme with the fork tube being a different color than the body. They all show one color frames. Any contrasting paint is pin stripes on the frame and the fork. The one I found has the "scallops" and fork darts.

I'll keep looking.

Thanks for your insights,
Ed

I think you nailed it

Except for the tank, that looks just like it. No wheels with the bike and I find it kind of strange that the bike would have chrome wheels and painted fenders.

Thanks,

Ed

Back