When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pumping Up A Tire

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

wrongway

I live for the CABE
Last night I discovered what it took to blow-up a tube! I can't recall the pressure, but amazingly enough my worn out, clattering, 40 year old air compressor was able to pull it off! I just wasn't watching. My wife heard the bang in the house! Good thing I wasn't hurt as she didn't come out to check on me! :) I have not had time to run to the store for another tube. Hopefully the tire is fine. It did slightly tear up the bead.
I say that to ask this: What do you use to air up the tires? Is it best to use a hand pump with a gauge? I'm thinking it might be safer.

This has happened to me twice as of late. i think hand pumps are best for bike tires. Expecially if you run vintage tires which is how if found out that an air compresser will inflate the tube very quickly almost up to peak pressures. This can cause blow out with old tubes from rapid expansion. It can also show you that that tire you were about to ride on was junk I blew through the side walls of 3 tires lately 2 seperated from the tread one just blew the whole sidewall to bits. A hand or foot pump with a gauge on the other hand. Will take a minute to fill the tire and slowly expand it. This way is much gentler and its way easier to to make pressure ajustments with. Making sure you tubes are the proper size for the tire and that your rims are locking onto you bead also helps.

Topeak Joe Blow Pro and Joe Blow Turbo are both great floor pumps with accurate gauges. They are very similar with the Pro being a bit fancier, but basically same pump with the Turbo a bit less expensive. I've used both for several years and they still work like new and gauges stay accurate.

Last night I discovered what it took to blow-up a tube! I can't recall the pressure, but amazingly enough my worn out, clattering, 40 year old air compressor was able to pull it off! I just wasn't watching. My wife heard the bang in the house! Good thing I wasn't hurt as she didn't come out to check on me! :) I have not had time to run to the store for another tube. Hopefully the tire is fine. It did slightly tear up the bead.
I say that to ask this: What do you use to air up the tires? Is it best to use a hand pump with a gauge? I'm thinking it might be safer.

Sounds like there is nothing wrong with your 40 year old compressor,but you made 2 mistakes.One you state(i cant recall the pressure and two i just wasn,t watching.Lesson learned watch the gauge,and if your compressor has no gauge get one with a gauge.Most balloon tires will hold 35 pounds safely and some of your road bikes can go as high as 100 pounds.The tire states how much air to use READ IT FIRST

For bike tires I like floor hand pumps (the old fashioned ones with the handles that go up and down) to compressors. I like the slower, more gradual method, especially after re-seating the tire to the rim. It's very, very easy to have a little spot where the tube skin is pinched between the rim and the bead of the tire. It will blow the tube if you start up the compressor, but if you have a hand pump you can usually catch it as you pump and correct the pinch before the tube blows.

I use my compressor for big jobs. Hand pump for tires for all the above reasons.

The compressor is the only way to go. Set your pressure regulator on the compressor to the correct tire PSI and take a nap while it's inflating.
My 37 year old Sears twin piston compressor is still better than most of the new crap on the market today.

I think my compressor has a gauge, but never looked at it.
One hand to fit the valve, one hand to squeeze the tire, and filling incrementally when I get close to desired.
Also, I initially fill a 1/3 and make sure the bead is evenly clinched throughout.
Chris

Back