When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pumping Up A Tire

-
I always use a hand pump on bike tires.Get one that does Presta and Schrader valves.I have road bikes that take 130 PSI.I have had tires blow out after I had filled them and gone into the house.The sidewalls just were too old and about an hour later let loose.The balloon tire blew out with 35 PSI.I use my compressor for auto tires not bike.

I had just put the finishing touches on an Indian copy of an old 28" English Roadster, and it was time to inflate the tires.
I had not had any experience with those size tires before, so I looked at the sidewall to see what the recommended pressure was.
All it said was, "Inflate hard" I guess that's how they do it in India.
So I started pumping and pumping and pumping. Just about the time I reached the point that I would call hard, BLAM!
I was assembling the bike inside a vaulted ceiling condominium, which made for a nice blast chamber.
Needless to say, my ears were ringing for quite some time.

I guess I'm just to old or to lazy to be pumping up bike tires with a hand pump. Having to use one out on the road is one thing, but why not use a compressor when you're in the shop or garage. An air compressor is like any tool, you have to know how to use it. And you need the regulator when inflating a bike tire or blow up Betty if you're not going to be paying attention to what your doing.

My preferred method of driving a 3" nail in a 20 year old Doug Fir 2X4 is with an air powered nail gun. Sure beats pecking away at a nail 50 times with a 12 oz hammer wearing yourself out and bending the nail multiple times. I really see no real advantage with using a hand pump. I'll use my compressor and then blow up Betty and I will sit back sipping our beer while we watch you guys with hand pumps pumping away. LOL :)

GT,So she left me for you.I wondered where she went.When Dave had a discussion with his "girlfriend" I thought she left me for him.

So She Did

I'm sorry Vince. I promise you I'll take really good care of her, at least until she needs some plastic surgery. :)

GT,Thanks you.As Dave stated,dont try to give her a bigger chest,especially with an air compressor.

If an air compressor has a gauge it is usually for the tank pressure not the tire pressure.

Back