• Please take a moment to read the new post TRADING SAFETY. It contains important information for those who use the classified ads for buying and selling.

Question 28 in. Clad wood rims after 1931

Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

HEMI426

Look Ma, No Hands!
I have a Excelsior with 28 in. Clad wheels and 1 tube tires. My question is when did they stop making clad wheels for Schwinn bikes.

20201119_111902.jpg

20201119_111937.jpg

20201119_114913.jpg

Ricker

Look Ma, No Hands!
I would research schwinn catalogs and figure out when they stopped offering a 28" wheeled bike. That might possibly indicated the last time they were offered. Some of the manufacturers went right up to WW2. If I had the '30's catalogs I would try to give you a better answer...

New Mexico Brant

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
I have a Excelsior with 28 in. Clad wheels and 1 tube tires. My question is when did they stop making clad wheels for Schwinn bikes.
Can you please show a close up picture of your rims. I can't blow-up the images you posted very large but it seems what you have are metal clincher rims, not metal-clad wood rims. I could be wrong but a close up image would help.

IngoMike

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Those are some FLAT profile rims, I think @New Mexico Brant is correct, my metal-clad wood wheels have a much deeper profile.
I do have a similar pair of FLAT profile clinchers on a 20's Hawthorne Flyer Motorbike.

ivrjhnsn

I live for the CABE
Bikes still were available with 28" metal clad wood rims into the late thirties if not even later.