When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question About BMA/6 Certification

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Eddie Miller

Look Ma, No Hands!
Quick question. I've been told that BMA/6 certification stickers were mandatory for American-made bicycles manufactured between 1971 and 1979, but did they certify and put stickers on older bikes, too? I ask because my B.F. Goodrich Challenger has a BMA/6 sticker on the seat post, but looking at it design-wise there's no way it's a 70's bike. It can't be any newer than mid-1960's. Just look at it.

Barbara Ann 1.png

I don't think the BMA certification was mandatory because Schwinn didn't play that game. Murray started out with that style chain guard in the early 60's and it looks like it was used into the 70's.
Here's some 1971 catalog images.

scan0004.jpg

Schwinn moved their serial numbers to the head tube sometime in March of 1970. I don't know squat about Murray's. Adamtinkerer is the one in the know.

Quote from Adamtinkerer in that SN thread I posted a link to above.

Welcome to the forum! Yours is an '83, the serial #'s moved to the head tube around 1980. Also, I can tell it's a Monterey by the two tone red/maroon paint under the green.

He also states the BMA/6 sticker is on bikes from 1971 or later.

Back