When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question about model differentiation

-

davlafont

On Training Wheels
Hi folks, new here. I'd like to do a Schwinn project some time in the future and I'm partial to the cantilever design. As I troll my local Craigslist I see a variety of what seems (to me) to be the same bike with different names. So I reviewed some vintage catalogs to see what makes them differ; I come away scratching my head.

As an example: in 1961 Schwinn offered the cantilever frame as: the Panther III, Mark IV Jaguar, Streamliner, Hornet, Speedster, Corvette, Tiger, and Wasp (albeit, the Wasp is described as a Heavy Duty build). Each model differs in one or two accessory details. That's it? A change in headlights and chrome vs. stainless fenders makes a Panther a Jaguar? And both of those are just dressed up Speedsters? (Or Spitfires, I can't distinguish between those two either.)

I'm very familiar with the auto industry, particularly of the mid- to late- 20th century, and the badge engineering that marketing departments dreamed up. Clearly Schwinn was of that world and that era. I'm just interested to know if there are any real hardware distinctions.

Right now my CL saved list includes a '64 American, '62 American, "Vintage" Typhoon, "60s" Corvette, '61 Panther III. Some have racks, some don't, and they all seem to be coaster brakes. None of them are fully equipped as original. I don't plan on doing any restoration, only a cleanup and reburbishment (bearings, etc.). So, can I ignore the model names any focus simply on condition and "bang for the buck"?

Except for balloon tire or middleweight the short answer-yep

Last edited:
Hi folks, new here. I'd like to do a Schwinn project some time in the future and I'm partial to the cantilever design. As I troll my local Craigslist I see a variety of what seems (to me) to be the same bike with different names. So I reviewed some vintage catalogs to see what makes them differ; I come away scratching my head.

As an example: in 1961 Schwinn offered the cantilever frame as: the Panther III, Mark IV Jaguar, Streamliner, Hornet, Speedster, Corvette, Tiger, and Wasp (albeit, the Wasp is described as a Heavy Duty build). Each model differs in one or two accessory details. That's it? A change in headlights and chrome vs. stainless fenders makes a Panther a Jaguar? And both of those are just dressed up Speedsters? (Or Spitfires, I can't distinguish between those two either.)

I'm very familiar with the auto industry, particularly of the mid- to late- 20th century, and the badge engineering that marketing departments dreamed up. Clearly Schwinn was of that world and that era. I'm just interested to know if there are any real hardware distinctions.

Right now my CL saved list includes a '64 American, '62 American, "Vintage" Typhoon, "60s" Corvette, '61 Panther III. Some have racks, some don't, and they all seem to be coaster brakes. None of them are fully equipped as original. I don't plan on doing any restoration, only a cleanup and reburbishment (bearings, etc.). So, can I ignore the model names any focus simply on condition and "bang for the buck"?

Depends on what you want and like. From high end Jags, Panthers and Corvettes to low end Spitfires you will see high end parts to low end parts. The only hardware difference on a high end to low end Schwinn would be the head set and chrome verses cad plating on a few parts. A Spitfire has the throw away rolled stem, a bolted on kickstand some earlier years, cheap seat, pedals and cheaper hubs. From a low end to the high end Schwinn, the vast majority of the components vary in style and grade. IMO, the best bang for my buck would be a good deal on a Schwinn with higher end components, especially the seat. I'll take the Impala SS over a Biscayne any day of the week. : )

Ok, that’s good to know. Headset, hubs... how about bottom bracket? Any high to low differences there?

The bottom bracket was the same on all that had a one piece crank.

Back