When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question about Schwinn springers

-

Brutuskend

I live for the CABE
I have about about 6 or 8 springer forks from the late 40's and early 50's and the VAST majority have slotted drop outs on both fork legs, but one or two have a slot on one side and just a hole on the left side. Explain please. Why is that?

TIA

I believe they were originally designed with the hole for safety. Later they realized it wasn't all that much safer so they slotted both sides.

Are all the forks unmodified by someone? Here's the parts diagram for the old style and it shows only a one side drop out. Even the new style 55 and up have a one side drop out only.

1563425214406.png

Early prewar forks had a hole on both sides originally. Only seen a handful that have not been modified to have a slot on at least one side.

the early legs also did not have drain hole slots at the bottom of the legs,also part number 2935 should show 2 different brackets,the angle for the springer with rhe bolt behind[early] is a different angle for the later springer with the bolt goin through the center,mixing them up will give you the wrong fork angle

Last edited:
Back