When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question about vintage bicycle fork

-

Festinalente

On Training Wheels
My dad has a frame and parts from a bicycle he had as a child. Based on when he said he got the bike it would appear to be from the 1950s. The front fork is a mystery to me and seems to be the most distinctive original part of the bicycle.

Does anyone know anything about this front fork or what kind of bicycle it is? I haven’t even ridden the bicycle and know very little about it beyond what my dad has told me. The fork is original to the bicycle, or at least it was on it when my father got the bike.

I’m asking because I’m considering rebuilding or restoring the bicycle but I don’t have all that much to go on as it is. The frame has been repainted at least twice and the head badge was taken off by my dad as a child and lost. He still has the original crankset, handlebars, bar stem, one wheel, and the seat. The seat needs to be recovered and all of parts need rechroming. The fender in the picture is from a set he found that he says look exactly like the fenders that were on the bicycle when he got it.

Any information would be really appreciated.

7A87396C-F7E6-4862-8D7F-BEC050BF0225.jpeg

Thank you for the information, I really appreciate it. Does anyone know if some Western Flyer bicycles were made by Columbia in the 1950s? I know Western Flyers were sold in the area at the time and the fenders my dad says matches his old ones, in color and style, are western flyer fenders.

No, Western Auto sourced bikes from several companies then, but not Westfield. There were reproductions made in the '80s and sold at their stores, that were based on '50s Westfields. Those were cheaply made. The serial # should be on the rear dropout, where the wheel attaches. It should start with a letter and be dated by it. Their # series went back to "A" in 1955.

Back