When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question / Confirmation on Huffman Dayton age

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

BanjoPup

On Training Wheels
I'm starting a project to restore my father-in-law's Huffman Dayton as a gift for my wife's birthday. Before he passed away, my father-in-law recalled getting the bike on his 16th birthday which was in the fall of 1942. The serial number from the frame is H98581. I've searched serial number references on the web and most seem to have the H plus a 6 digit number, vs. a 5 digit. I did find a few photos for some of the G519 military versions with 5 digit codes, but those had the year date code also stamped on the frame. As you can see this one does not have a year code stamp so I'm assuming it was a commercial version made during the same period. Just looking to identify / confirm the serial number to age. It's been 12 years since he passed away so I'm just trying to confirm that my memory serves me right. Any insights on the bike would be appreciated.

huffman bike serial number.jpg

Hi,
The people who actually know anything about these old bikes are going to want to see more photos so you might as well load 'em up.
Particularly a clear close up of the back of the fork crown. There might be a clue.
Also, I have found that the Dayton/Huffman book sold on eBay to be an excellent read. Highly recommended. I am still pouring through it.
Good luck.

Here's another photo of the frame with the paint and most of the rust removed. I can take additional photos if there is something specific that would be important. The bike also has a sweetheart sprocket. Didn't take any photos of that, but it may be helpful information.

huffman bike frame.jpg

huffman parts.jpg

Is there any numbers stamped in the circled area of the fork? Looks post war to me. V/r Shawn

huffman parts.jpg

To my knowledge it is original, as are all / most of the parts. My father-in-law headed off to WW2 in 1944 and when he got back he got into cars. My wife never remembers even seeing him ride a bike. But he kept this in an old leaky barn on his property, and I had asked him about it a few years before he passed away. The barn was replaced 2 years ago and I moved the bike to my basement. Didn't even know it was a Huffman until this weekend, the badge on the frame is long missing. Started the project a few weeks ago just as a keepsake for my wife but discovered from some research that it is a Huffman.

I’d like to see a photo of that frame from the top or at least a good photo of the seat cluster/fender stay bridge area. Something isn’t adding up for me. V/r Shawn

Back