When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question for Silver King riders

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Allrounderco

I live for the CABE
Yes, owners who ride their Silver Kings: What's it like for an adult to ride a pre-war SK M1? How long is the seat post? I'm looking (sight-unseen) at one custom built from a standard pre-war frame and fork, built up with 26" wheels, and some nice, longhorn style handlebars. I've never seen one in person, and the fact that this bike would have originally had 24" wheels probably has me concerned. I have a post-war DX with longhorns, and it fits me well. I'm on the small side (5' 5", 135lbs), but I have a 29" inseam, and prefer roomy bikes. If the Silver King compares to the DX, I think I'll be golden. If it's like my Corvette, I think I'd want to try one before committing. This will be the most I've spent on a bike, and want this one to be a keeper.

Thanks in advance, Will.

depends on how hard you are going to ride it years ago i cracked a standard silverking frame (rear seat stay ) on a 10 mile ride with slight hills stand over height should not be an issue good luck

Thanks. I'm not worried about standover. I have a Collegiate with a 22" frame that I find quite comfortable (just a bit on the heavy side). I've read about the fragility, and I will take it easy jumping curbs and such, but I do tend to stand up on the pedals to get moving - especially on my taller geared single speed bikes like the DX and my '32 Schwinn Motorbike. That more or less rules out group rides - but I'm presently doing those on my 3 speed. Not sure if I can handle the pace for 18+ miles, let alone the bike. Thanks for your input, @bikejunk

Yeah, I'm coming to that conclusion. The seller was kind enough to take some measurements for me, and it's actually longer than the bikes I ride, by 2-3 inches, depending on bike. That length is probably what keeps them looking normal when set up with 26". If you don't mind me asking, @old hotrod and @bike junk, has seat height been an issue? It appears that the post is fairly short, at 7" or so, and I assume that's to keep from stressing the lug / casting where it enters. I read that the seat tube is 18" (don't know if that varies between models, and I'm guessing you can get about 3-4" of rise on the post. So that's like riding a 22" frame bike with the seat slammed, which I did, when I bought my latest lightweight. Not ideal for me, but rideable nonetheless.

On my cruisers, the seats are always low ..not slammed but low. On flat ground at the typically slow pace it has never been an issue and I've ridden some long distances...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I'm not sure why I want to sit tall - maybe some kind of repressed Napoleon complex. I think the thing to do is get the bike and find out :)

Thanks again

IMG_0704.JPG

Get the bike!

Back