When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question, how to fight oxidation and/or prepping bare frame

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

skins247

'Lil Knee Scuffer
So while stripping this Astro Flier , using many methods....The bare frame seems to oxidize , discolor very quickly. Any advice on removing it before primer....when , how...and any way to prevent it during the strip phase, as it will probably take a while with all the joints and detail areas to take care of.....thanks

gSh8cc.jpg

One might prime as you go, but introduce delays waiting for primer to dry.
or just call it “surface” oxidation and use rusty-metal primer over it.
or take it to a sand blast shop.

And wear gloves.

Last edited:
I think I will incorporate all three of those suggestions, minus the sandblasting....sand with 220 , prime at the joints in sections and keep indoors....that's the plan, I'll see how it goes...greatly appreciate the input.

Thank you, I searched youtube and this one came up without seeing your video attachment....Good stuff. This is my first frame strip since I was a kid in the 70s....I'm trying to keep this project at a low budget...but , then thought I could always use the Klean Strip metal prep, or something similar on another project....Really appreciate the support from you folks, thank you...

Sooo....looks like the rebuild has been derailed....top inside of the head tube....of course I started stripping at the back for the serial number...
FMteUK.jpg

unless you plan on riding all evil Kinevil that crack won't hurt anything. I say go for it.

or find someone with a welder to weld that up.

So while stripping this Astro Flier , using many methods....The bare frame seems to oxidize , discolor very quickly. Any advice on removing it before primer....when , how...and any way to prevent it during the strip phase, as it will probably take a while with all the joints and detail areas to take care of.....thanks

View attachment 1509937
Lots of great suggestions here, some of which I did not even realize.
For me, seeing is believing. I believe from my personal experiences at Twisted Chopper, WD40 is effective for all the newly fabricated bare metal parts sitting on the shelves waiting to be shipped. The shop applies heavily WD40 on bare metal parts utilizing a Speedway Motors compressed air spray bottle.
If I could dip my entire vehicle into WD40, I would.

Back