When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question: New Departure Model D Rear Coaster Brake

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
When you've got a hub with no spokes and rim to help you out, nothing beats a puller.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

The driver when turned by the sprocket will ride up the acme threads. The bolt is welded to the clutch which also has acme threads. When you put the sprocket in a vise and use a pipe wrench on the clutch, the acme threads unscrew and tighten the whole shoot 'n shebang which unscrews the cog.
Thanks rustjunkie for the parts to make this happen. The check's in the mail!
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
If wheel/hub is out of frame:
Loosen lock ring (it has a reverse thread) just a bit.
Put hub or wheel into frame or bike with a crankset and chain on it.
Attach brake arm to brake arm strap, tension chain, tighten brake arm strap nut/bolt and axle nuts.
Apply the brake with controlled leverage.
Cog will break free, stopped by lock ring.
Remove wheel/hub from bike/frame.
remove lock ring.
remove cog.

If the wheel is already in the bike, you can loosen the lock ring a bit without removing the wheel.
This can also be done with a hub that isn't in a wheel.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The problem is how to hold the driver while unscrewing the cog. If you hold the clutch sleeve in a vise you don't damage the driver. When you unscrew the cog, the driver rides up the ramps of the acme. The bolt keeps this from happening. The aches can't unscrew and the cog comes loose.

Ah, okay...I don't have a chain whip, or a pipe wrench, or a big vise on a bench bolted to the floor...I do, however, have a bike or two here :D

Looks good tho, and I'm looking forward to checking it out :)

Ah, okay...I don't have a chain whip, or a pipe wrench, or a big vise on a bench bolted to the floor...I do, however, have a bike or two here :D

Looks good tho, and I'm looking forward to checking it out :)
It'll go out in the mail mañana. Thanks again.

When you've got a hub with no spokes and rim to help you out, nothing beats a puller.
]

That's good info TR and close to what I'm, without just pulling it off for part of an answer, trying to figure out. And it seems, when it come to figuring alternative measures, ingenuity, U da man! I used to yank ND's apart as a kid in 60's and only recall that: I hated em. A little tricky at first, reassembling them, but easy once ya line everything up right. Yet, maybe it was because of the sprocket mount situation. At least I had a vise but not much in tools other than basic determination, there wasn't anything I couldn't rip apart and fix.

Anyways, I acquired this recently and accordingly, it ain't suposta happen. Especially after looking at diagrams it's got to be something special or else nothings holding the bearings in? Yet the wheel spins freely and very smooth.

Model D with 3 speed freewheel and 1947 Simplex 'Tour De France' on a 46, maybe 7, Schwinn DX. I hunted down plenty info about these derailleurs including an advertisement about their freewheel but the buck stops there. Nothing at all other than an offer to order different sized cogs yet, no info about Simplex's own freewheel plus seriously nothing about adapting to any bike at all. Presumably, only made for race bikes and back then freewheel and or cog, the mounting thread was universal?

How'd they do that, A special freewheel for ND hubs, just plain 'Ingenuity' or ND's lock ring is that "universal" size too?

Also while I didn't think to clean before photographing it, the dust cover appears black. Potentially it's not ND's cover too.

P7280048.JPG

P7250037.JPG

Last edited:
Back