When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question on frame repair

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Pondo

Finally riding a big boys bike
Hey guys,

I picked up this '69 Raleigh Superbe to fix up and found a hole in the bottom of the chainstay. Someone had put a Schwinn kickstand on this thing and it looks like they cranked it down too tight and it broke and/or rubbed thru the tubing right next to the lug. I'm wondering if I can carefully weld this with a mig welder? Or would it need to be brazed? Is it even salvagable? The stickers on the frame are pretty worn off so I don't have a clue as to type of tubing this is made of. It's a drop tube frame and I'm half way looking for a boys frame anyways so maybe it's time to hang this frame up. What do you folks think? Thanks!

I believe that the frame would take up too much storage space, if one planned to put the bike on back burner, to be started after all other projects are completed.
As others have indicated, the frame starts out with some strikes against it.

Not worth the effort

I’ve got this Raleigh built western flyer mens bike if you’re interested…

I don't see any aesthetic, historical, or functional value to be gained by fixing that frame.

I believe that the frame would take up too much storage space,

I'm sensing a consensus here. And I'm with you guys- this frame is out! I'll keep the parts to use on other builds but I'm going to throw the frame on the outside pile in case I need any tubing between now and when I recycle it. Thanks for the advice my good chaps and have a great weekend!!!

Back