When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question on Schwinn crank dating

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Coyote

Finally riding a big boys bike
Is there a logical sequence for the "month" ID on the crank surface?
Obviously, it is not directly the month of manufacture as I have seen 24 (maybe higher)
on some Schwinn cranks (e.g. 12 70 is not December of 1970).
Is there a correlation there (1 or 2 = Jan, 3 or 4 = February, etc.)?
Thanks in advance!

1675093022129.png

Over the years I've heard lots of speculation on what the SW-SA-SF means and what the numbers in middle mean. I also see a 78 stamping above the drive pin on that crank. Schwinn actually forged some of their cranks over the years and many were forged at other foundries. One speculation on the middle numbers is that was a batch or run number. That makes the most sense to me but it's still speculative. Maybe @Schwinn Sales West has some idea what all the markings are.

Here's what the letters supposedly mean. Again, speculative.

SW = Schwinn Wald
SA = Schwinn Ashtabula
SF = Schwinn Factory/Foundry

No idea for certain.

I would agree that Schwinn needed a way to determine the source for the forging if a product safety/recall problem came up so those letters and numbers were important.

During my years at Schwinn all that I remember were with the SA stamping on the forged arms. The bent, "flat sided" arms on the juvinile bikes looked like they came from Wald, but not to confuse them with a forging, they were definitely stamped. I'm sure Wald also made forged arms.

Sorry, I could not answer your question

John

Back