When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question Re: Porkchop axle, bearings etc.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Mack the fork

Look Ma, No Hands!
So a very, very generous new acquaintance
Just gifted me a stripped high flange (phone dial ) pork chop hub for my ‘40 DX build; Only the empty hub with the pressed in races.

But it’s a nice one though; and that price 😀👍 !

I was initially a bit crestfallen by the task of sourcing what was SURE to be a list of unobtainable parts. But then I started poking around and voila’! There are repop
brake plates available ( half-way home me thinks ).

But then there was still the matter of the axle,bearings, races, bolts etc.

So I poked around old CABE postings and had another revelation: One Caber mentioned that the axle internals from a Schwinn script hub swap right in !

Is this correct?

does that mean that this eBay offering would fit the bill ?

Someone please advise so that I may pinch myself…

790F0839-E431-4C92-B6E9-F8B34DF27C0B.png

I too have one of these hubs with no original parts. Could one of you guys who really know please spell out every single part needed from one side to the other to make one of these hubs whole?

Is all this stuff available as reproduction? If you leave out the pre-40 high/low hub parts that are obviously bigger, how much interchanges prewar vs postwar? Are the repro parts from the 1995 Phantom program? Were there differences from the last Chicago Schwinn ones? If not for the 1995s, what were they made to fit?

I'm not an expert on these hubs, but I have been through quite a few and I have an unlaced one sitting here on my desk if you would like some photos. Maybe that would help?

I'm not an expert on these hubs, but I have been through quite a few and I have an unlaced one sitting here on my desk if you would like some photos. Maybe that would help?
I know it’s asking a lot, but if you would be willing to photograph your Pork Chop/ Large Flange hib, disassembled, in an “exploded view”, it would be an enormous help, and answer a LOT of questions.

( Thank you in advance if you’re able to do that ! )

Back