When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question Re: Porkchop axle, bearings etc.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Here is a start. Please let me know if you have any further requests. The only thing I noticed missing is a washer between the pork chop and the cone nut inside the drum. Seems like each hub requires a different thickness depending on how the porkchop mates with the drum.

No that expensive stepped washer is pressed into the face of the porkchop. The spacing washer is typically just a standard washer.

No that expensive stepped washer is pressed into the face of the porkchop. The spacing washer is typically just a standard washer.
View attachment 1434119

View attachment 1434120
Dear Mr. ADReese,

Allow me the this opportunity to declare you to be a PRINCE !
No, wait … A KING among common men !

Well, certainly a damn swell guy !

Thanks so very much for such a quick and comprehensive array of photos. It really helps a great deal. Those pics answer a LOT of questions.

Now , if I could only convince some of our more… how do I say … “possessive” members to share the joy that lies hidden away within their parts hoards…

( Sigh) I am at their mercy.

You're very welcome! Glad I could help. As far as putting one of these hubs together I believe most of the parts have been reproduced. Many of my hubs have a random reproduction part on board. As long as you have a good shell and possibly a good set of shoes, you should be able to buy the rest from bicycle bones and ABC SERVICES. I usually budget around 500 ish to put together a nice, functional hub from lever to the drum.

You're very welcome! Glad I could help. As far as putting one of these hubs together I believe most of the parts have been reproduced. Many of my hubs have a random reproduction part on board. As long as you have a good shell and possibly a good set of shoes, you should be able to buy the rest from bicycle bones and ABC SERVICES. I usually budget around 500 ish to put together a nice, functional hub from lever to the drum.
Another question:

Your photos show that your hub uses “8”
Ball bearings per side. I received an axle kit which provided “9” bearings per side.
The bearings appear to be the correct size,
And they all fit just fine between the cones and races.

My question is: Is there any advantages to utilizing all 9 bearings per side vs only 8 ?

Is there any additional rolling efficiency by using only 8 vs. 9 ( or vice versa ) ?

Please let me/us know.

Thanks.

I opened up another hub I had on hand and it had 9 balls in it. Wonder if the hub I photographed was missing some. It was a hub that I hadn't taken apart before. I'm not sure what the correct amount is. I would think that more balls would roll smoother but that's just a guess. I have added balls to bendix kick back hubs before in the past with good results.

Is there any additional rolling efficiency by using only 8 vs. 9 ( or vice versa ) ?
There has to be a gap, and the common wisdom for any loose ball system is to put in all that will fit and then remove one. As big as these bearings are relative to the diameter of the cups, I think if you assembled it with no dust covers, and you still had a gap equivalent to most of a bearing I would say leave it that way. I have no idea what Schwinn did.

Wasn't there a retainer used in some of the later ones?

Back