When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I know a lot of folks didn’t get their “normal” IRS refund this year, I certainly didn’t. That seems to fuel much of the typical spring activity in the hobby from my experience buying and selling vintage bikes over the last 25+ years.

Also it just takes a couple of aggressively over-paying collectors buying up everything to ruin the fun for many. There has been plenty of that around the prewar Schwinn circles lately.

Lastly, I think the hobby was in a bubble of sorts and has corrected. The good stuff still demands a premium, but the mediocre stuff is seeing that correction.

Personally, I’m fine with lower prices. I just have a few bikes and very little parts inventory so I’m not worried about my “investment”. I do have a wad of cash ready to go for reasonably priced goods though.

My opinion from being more of a car guy is that the nostalgia buyers old enough to have disposable income and to reminisce about "easier" times are aging out of their market and the next generation is more interested in what they remember from when they were kids. I'm thankful that I never suffered from this fiscally-damaging and sometimes emotionally-stunting disease and merely had PTSD (ironically, though I believe I may have been spared from nostalgia as we refer to it today by PTSD, the original idea of nostalgia was that of a "soldiers' disease" and very much linked to early recognition of what would be known as PTSD). Good bikes, like cars, will sell because they have qualities or iconic image that has timeless appeal, but mass produced mediocrity or outright junk that was overvalued by nostalgia buyers will come down and likely stay there. A Ferrari 250 GTO transcends fads, but utterly ridiculous 7-figure sales for 'Cudas are over. Right now, the average-among-its-contemporaries-when-new Supra is on the rise, but when the Fast-and-Furious-appreciating generation ages out, I'm sure the value of those will fall back, too (assuming trends continue along their historical paths until then, though that looks unlikely).

any other thoughts
Yeah. Some of us need to learn the difference between there and their, your and you're, and sense and cents. If your only using two sense, you're letting three go to waste. If you're only using two cents, then you've only used 1/50th of a dollar. Makes sense doesn't it? And please, don't use a pronoun without first using a proper antecedent. Thanks.

#1 I see those ads on tv about cell phones and hear that many people are paying $30-$40 month for service. If true that doesn't leave much money left for average wage earmers to spend for descretionary purchases like bikes.

#2 I also agree with razinhellcustomz that "People would rather piss away $100.00+ for a GARBAGE bike at Wallys than buy a classic vintage bike for less money . They don't know or want QUALITY!! Razin. "

#3 I see the same bikes week after week on our local CL not selling. I have a 2 speed kickback Breeze in fantastic condition withh brand new tires listed at $125 for 2 months and not a nibble. Also had it at 3 different flea markets and my yard sale and not more than 2 or 3 people even bothered to look at it. People just not interested I guess as I was prepared to negotiate.

#4 Happened to be at a yard sale at the same time with a flipper I know well. He, and I, passed on a $10 wally world Schwinn "mountain" bike in perfect condition...looked like it had never been ridden. A year or 2 ago it would have popped quickley for $50 on cl but he didn't even bother with it.

I don't know why, but I am seeing bikes that would have sold quickley a couple of years ago languishing on cl for what seems like forever......just sayin'

I have an auctioneer friend and he says the worst months to sell something are those that start with a "J". January because people are recovering from Christmas and June and July because those are family vacation months. Average stuff will always take time to sell but the good stuff just keeps moving! V/r Shawn

If it's a repop like i know it is, It's not worth a plug nickel. I'm going through a 19666 Schwinn ray for alot less than that and will be maybe worth twice as much as this Garbage Pacific cycle Turd. For 350, It won't sell. Go figure. Razin.

Ya now what, I looked at the ad and with the 175.00 shipping it's still not worth the asking price. Pay what YOU want. But not for me. Your two sense worth would be put to better use else were. Razin.

You're missing the point. That bike is the real deal, not a garbage Pacific cycle turd as you seem to think. It was an absolute bargain, even with the shipping. That was not an asking price, that is what the bike actually sold for. It's easily a $1500 plus bike.

Back