When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Good for you!! You can pay YOUR 1500 all day. I would rather build an old one MYSELF and spend way less than you will and i get the satisfaction of doing it MYSELF> YOU? Not so much.

When did I say I'd pay $1500? I said it's at least a $1500 bike.
You said that you know it's a repop and that it isn't worth what it sold for. I was only trying to tell you that it is NOT a repop, it's an original bike. That's the only reason I mentioned value.

You enjoy building bikes, I enjoy original bikes. I get my satisfaction from taking a neglected original bike and making them look and ride nice again. Others like restored bikes. That's the beauty of this hobby, lots of options. But you don't need to concern yourself with what I spend my money on, or what I like. That doesn't even have anything to do with the conversation.

Lots of folks here are willing to help and give free advice. But not if you're going to argue with everyone.
See, you may not care for original bikes, and that's fine. But who wouldn't want to learn about finding a bike for $350 and being able to sell it for $1500?
That's ok, more deals for the rest of us.

5677 mcx8evjGRt1qedb29o1_500.gif

old stuff does not have the value it used to. watch the Antiques Roadshow when they have older shows on, then at the end after showing the price from 1999 they show the current value and very few things have gained much value in the last 20 years, many times the price has even gone down
Way too funny, I'm watching that right now and yes, there is a noticable amount of items that have lost value.

The thing with "collectibles" is styles and what's hot in the market is always changing. In the furniture world, the mid century stuff is on fire right now. Federal, renaissance revival, the real foo foo, over ornate stuff is cheap. Not in style now. It will be again one day.

'Retro cruiser' bikes, now being produced for the last 25 or so years on a pretty consistent basis by a myriad of
manufacturers and most over seas, have in my opinion really killed the allure of the original articles to the general public.
I live near the beaches here in the LA area and have been riding on the bikes paths here since high school on
vintage ballooners. .... the saturation of the retro garbage has 'numbed' folks to original bikes.
The classics would blow peoples minds when you rode them down here locally years back, now, it's very
rare for anyone to even give a classic bike a second glance.
There are just so many older and already weathered and rusted Retro bikes rolling around the bike paths where
I live and most are clones (somewhat) of the 30s-50s stuff..

Also, When I first got in to this hobby back in the late 70s...and even up through the 80's even 90s...alot of older folks
were fueling the fire buying and restoring.... They were buying their child hood bikes. That party is just about over.

NEVER in the 40+ years of collecting/buying/selling have I seen the market this bad, all time worst.
As collectors ...we need to encourage newbies and use any opportunity at our disposal to promote
the hobby to the broader population.

I used to love selling on Ebay at low 9.99 opening bid and No reserve let em' roll. Always confident that
the market would be healthy and strong. These days you're better off listing anything you sell on ebay
for a starting bid of the least you would accept for the item or you're in for some startling realizations.

Back